Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I searched. Please save the flaming for the gay bar.

I have a 96 351 with manual locks and windows. I always liked manual better than power because there is less to break, but here I am. Broken.

My driver's side exterior door handle works perfectly. The interior handle doesn't work. It sounds and feels like its trying to work in there but just not quite unlatching the door.

I took off the door panel and lubed the catch in the jamb, the cable, and the handle mechanism as well.

Is there an adjustment? Or should I just gut the assembly and make a trip to the yard?

Thanks in advance. I'm sick of crawling out the passenger door of my DD!

·
Chrome gets me home
2,902 Posts
if it makes you feel anybetter i have to roll my window down to let myself out cuz i just broke another damned handle...im in the same boat as you tho, the door never wants to unlatch without a good pull on the handle and a shoulder nudge...hence the breaking of mulitple door handles...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Preach it brother! I would pull and pull and it would eventually pop open. Yesterday I broke the handle, too. I didn't mention it though because thats easy to fix.

Roll down the window to open the door...Brilliant! Duh? Why didn't I think of that. Certainly cooler looking than crawling across.

·
Chrome gets me home
2,902 Posts
easier yeah but still a huge pain in the ass...when i do pull the handle tho its like its not connected to anything, im guessing my deal is a stretched cable that needs to be tighted, cuz ive degreased, cleaned, and relubed all the parts i could see and it didnt do any good

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
only other part left is the latch mechanism itself...if its not opening right pull the latch out of the door and see if anything is bent...if not just replace it.

·
Chrome gets me home
2,902 Posts
im going to gut mine i think this week whenever i pull the panel off to change the handle. if i cant find anything im just gonna run to the yard to get what i need, a kid i work with totalled his 95 f150 and i know which yard its at so ill go scrap his truck...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't mind buying new parts for performance reasons, but for an old door handle...too much $. I'll just spend 30 minutes and 5 bucks at the yard.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
You guys might want to pop your door panel off and take a look. I had this happen when I first got my Bronco, and if I remember right (its been like a whole year or something :doh0715:), the problem was the spot where the handle attaches is thin sheet metal of the door. It begins to tear after 10-15 years of use and the handle begins to bind up and acts like its catching. After a while, it will not work anymore, but the outside handle still works.... to fix, I got some giant steel washers and put one on each side of the sheet metal and then ran a bolt through the handle attachment (where it attaches to the sheet metal) and the washers. You need giant washers so the spread out the force of you pulling the handle. Mine have given me no issues since..... check that out before you do like I did and go to the JY to pull all the handle guts out. Its a PITA and I ended up not using it... once I figured out the fix, it took like 30 minutes to do both sides....

·
Chrome gets me home
2,902 Posts
where the hinge thing connects to this sheet metal has alot of give on the driver side in my truck, but the passenger side is tight like a tiger...maybe this is the reason?

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Check out where the door handle attaches to the door in post #49 of this thread....

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111784&page=3

GTs got the panel off and you can see where the bolt runs through the handle and shoot metal..... that metal tears. I wouldnt be suprised of most of us who have a problem with the interior handle binding have this going on... you want to take care of it before that metal tears completely. I would use the outside handle until you have a chance to take a look....

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,522 Posts
I know this thread is several years old, but it references the same problem I had so I wanted to post my method of fixing it to add to the list.

My drivers side interior door handle became ineffective in regards to releasing the latch so the door would open. I would have to forcefully lift up on the handle and put my shoulder into the door to get it to open. It was very frustrating !! I had also tried using large washers behind my release mechanism but they did not work very well.

I pulled my interior door panel off to trouble shoot the problem. I found two issues that contributed to the problem of the latch not releasing.

First, I found the spring loaded handle mechanism had severe wear in a pivot point that pulls on the cable. Picture #1 points out the area in question. I believe most of the problem was due to this wear on the release mechanism. Don't overlook this part.

Second, the interior door skin where handle mechanism bolts to was cracked and this allowed the mechanism to flex and the extra play also contributed to the latch not releasing. Picture #2 points out the cracks underneath the nut clip.

My fix was to replace the spring loaded handle mechanism with another used mechanism that did not have the excessive wear at the pivot point and also to reinforce the door skin to strengthen the cracked original piece.

Picture #3 shows a chunk out of a donor door that I cut out with an angle grinder for the purpose of this fix. I trimmed it down with large tin snips and filed off any burrs that might keep the pieces from mating together closely.

Picture #2 shows the reinforcing section behind the original door skin. Surprisingly the new piece fit really well and tightly. I was able to bolt the interior handle mechanism into place without having to file any metal away from either door skin. Once the mechanism was in place, I began drilling and riveting the reinforcing skin in place to ensure things would line up once I was finished. You could probably do without riveting the reinforcement into place, but I was worried about noise coming from the door from vibrations from the speaker or other sources.

Picture #4 shows the completed fix. The release mechanism is very tight now. No flex at all.

I was very surprised how well this fix worked. The latch releases so well now. It feels just like a new door would off of the assembly line. I have had to retrain myself to not jerk the handle or put my shoulder into it when opening the door.

This is one of the best things that I have done to my Bronco lately.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,313 Posts
Yo Kenneth,
Well done!
Next time you develop a great fix, patent it!

I just noticed thatJeff's Bronco Graveyard is selling a kit equal to your fix.

"1980-1997 Inside Door Handle Reinforcement Plate, RH
https://shop.broncograveyard.com/19...le-Reinforcement-Plate-RH/productinfo/34368F/

Item Number: 34368F
Unit Price: $22.00
Passenger Side
Can Ship For $7.55 By Selecting PRM On
Shipping Option At Checkout
Detailed Description

We’ve created this Door Handle Reinforcement Plate for all of you out there who have gone to get out of your Ford Bronco or F150 only to realize you have to roll down the window and open your door using the outside handle. No matter who you are…you won’t look cool opening your door that way. This 14 gauge reinforcement plate solves your problem!

We designed this plate for easy installation. It is CNC laser cut and bent for a precise fit every time. Just remove your door panel and handle, set the reinforcement plate in place, and rivet it on. You’ll be opening your door the proper way in a matter of minutes."

Also has driver side kit @ https://shop.broncograveyard.com/19...le-Reinforcement-Plate-LH/productinfo/34370F/

Be well Kenneth!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Thanks for the info! My drivers side is starting to tear, luckily it still opens fine, need to get these for a good sunny day project

·
Registered
1996 XL, F4TE 351W, Made in the USA
83 Posts
This looks pretty good --my drivers door side was tearing to the point where it took a real hard tug to get it to open -which turned out to be making it worse because of the cable slack it was creating with the tear. The quick solution for mine was to add a brace on the lift side where the tear was, it has been holding well now that it just lifts up to open normally now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts