Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my driver's door on my 81 wasn't staying open as well as normal, so investigated and did a little light prying and - snap.
Gas Font Metal Bumper Auto part

It obviously was near failing without my help as it was cracked and corroded about 3/4 the way accross.

I've done some research and can't find these anywhere. All I see is this style:
Product Rectangle Font Cosmetics Automotive lighting

So, does anyone know of a source for this style? and does anyone know if they can be put on without taking the door off?
Font Material property Gas Ruler Metal

Or is my only option new hinges? Found these on amazon:

Reactions: packagerjr

·
Super Moderator
5,568 Posts
I don't believe you can get the original style spring by itself, since it was formed into the "S" shape after it was installed at the factory. You couldn't install a new one even if you got one, which is why the aftermarket spring exists.

It even looks like those aftermarket hinges you posted a link to have the aftermarket spring as well.

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe you can get the original style spring by itself, since it was formed into the "S" shape after it was installed at the factory. You couldn't install a new one even if you got one, which is why the aftermarket spring exists.

It even looks like those aftermarket hinges you posted a link to have the aftermarket spring as well.
Ok, thanks AB. Yeah, I haven't seen the S spring anywhere, so that's probably the reason. The aftermarket hinges do have the flat style spring, but it also has the roller in a different location than mine. Mine is below the hinge, so that spring won't work on it even if I could get it installed.

Looks like a new hinge is the solution if it's to be fixed.

·
Super Moderator
5,568 Posts
I've seen that aftermarket spring back when the original spring broke on my '81, but I never tried it.
I have no idea how they're installed and have never seen pictures of them installed. I'd be curious.

Otherwise, some new hinges would be really nice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts