Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My door closes and locks, but it has been slightly loose and vibrating. I finally took off the door panel and noticed one of the springs on the inside latch that hits the striker isnt tense anymore. I called the dealer and they told me it is 200 for the part. Anyone ever have this problem?

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
Actually I have exactly the same problem, it's the passanger side door on my 88, there's got to be a cheaper solution! Let me know if you find one.

MM

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,942 Posts
Did you look in the help section of Pepboys or Autozone, they might have something there that would fix that..Or go to a junk yard and pick one off of a new Bronco or Ford pick up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one of the engineers at my firm said that I can take the mechanism to ace hardware and they will probably have a spring that matches the broken one. The only problem is after taking out the latch I will have to hold the door closed while i drive or use a bungy cord. I think I am going to rummage through some of the salvage yards here in orlando to find one. Hopefully they are all the same from year to year.

G

·
i had the same problem on my drivers side door... what i did was where the door latches onto when it closes (the clip part?) i wrapped electric tape around it about 10 times, and made it thicker, and added more cushion, so now when it closes, it's a tight fit, shuts quieter, and doesnt move around at all...

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
I just examined my doors to see why mine is doing it and I have something similar to Kenny. The posts on my truck, 88, has a plastic sleeve around it that the latch closes around it. On my passanger side about 1/3 of that sleeve is missing, so there's enough there for it to hold on the most but not enough to keep the door from rattling. I plan on doing the same fix as Kenny, just thought something for you to look into.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool guys, good deal. unfortunately for me, The striker (post part) doesnt have a sleeve on it. the latch on mine (94) has two springs one for each of the two claw pieces so to speak. The bottom one is working fine, but the spring on the top one is broken. this is what in my case is causing the looseness. I have no choice but to pull it and either replace the spring or the whole mechanism.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
unfortunately in the yuppie world we need air conditioning...lol :)

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
Can you engage the "claws" with your fingers to see if there is any tension in that spring at all. The only reason I ask is I thought the stricker was supposed to have a plastic sleeve on it, and maybe thats part of your probelm...But I've never looked at a 94 before...So I really don't know. I just know my doors rattled like all hell until I replaced my striker bushing thingy's.....Take care---Fog

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
Fog,

I have to replace one of ym sleeves, where did you find them?

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
I found them in the "help" section at Orielly Auto.. Most stores will have the book you can order from. I got lucky and found it in stock...If ya want I can look for the part # if ya want....Fog

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
how much were they?

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
Like 4-5 bucks I think....I'm a pack rat so i've probably still got the reciept w/ part #'s and price--I'll look around tonight--Fog

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fog,

based on an examination of the passenger door latch, it appears as if the top "claw" does not have any spring tension on the driver side, but does on the passanger side. This is what led me to believe that it is the spring. plus, it was fine until I had one too many beers and my door wouldnt close right, so I forced it. Niether of the strikers have plastic sleeves on my truck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts