Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Bronco Custom 5.0
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Finally got around to replacing the striker bolts on my 1990. They were worn out and missing the plastic bushing.

Was slamming the doors for awhile. The doors shut easily now, but I have to yank pretty hard to open them.

Do I just need to adjust the bolt some more? Seems like I've tried every dang position for the striker bolt. Maybe the latch needs to be replaced?

Thank you all!

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,351 Posts
Are you trying from the inside of the truck or outside? Or is it hard to open either inside or out?

If you are having to yank up on the handle inside the cab, then it may not be your striker bolts giving you the problem. It may be the cable mechanism inside the door is worn out and/or the door skin is starting to split. Read the thread below and see if any of the info in it may help your situation. My post in the thread is number 15.

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,283 Posts
Slap a little all purpose grease on the latch mechanism in the door too, new bushings can be a little sticky for a while if you don’t. I spread a little on with my finger when I did mine - just a little - you don’t want gobs of grease getting left on your striker.

·
Registered
1990 Bronco Custom 5.0
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you trying from the inside of the truck or outside? Or is it hard to open either inside or out?

If you are having to yank up on the handle inside the cab, then it may not be your striker bolts giving you the problem. It may be the cable mechanism inside the door is worn out and/or the door skin is starting to split. Read the thread below and see if any of the info in it may help your situation. My post in the thread is number 15.

I don't need to yank on the handle. It just feels like it's stuck. I have to use a should on the inside to open the door or pull hard from the outside to open it.

·
Registered
1990 Bronco Custom 5.0
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slap a little all purpose grease on the latch mechanism in the door too, new bushings can be a little sticky for a while if you don’t. I spread a little on with my finger when I did mine - just a little - you don’t want gobs of grease getting left on your striker.
I'll give this a go. From what I've found on FSB, it seems like the doorman bushings are a little on the tight side, so that could be the issue .

·
Registered
1990 Bronco Custom 5.0
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I degreased both sides pretty good, lubed em up and greased them.

They loosened right up! I no longer have to wake up the neighbors shutting the doors and they open easily as well! Thanks all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts