Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 89 bronco and the driver door lock stickers. To unlock it I have to lock the door then unlock it with the key. If the door opens slowly sometimes it catches halfway opened and I have to lock it and unlock it again.
Also it does not unlock with the door lock switch.

I am assuming it’s something with the rods but no idea. The previous owner told me someone tried to break into it about a week before I bought it.

·
Super Moderator
29,395 Posts
Yo Chapys,

The early lock motors are prone to water intrusion; both in the motor itself, and in the spiral mechanism, causing poor performance, high current draw, & eventual failure. They were used in F-series/Bronco doors until 91.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you actually pulled the owner and checked the rods? If it's power locks the actuator could also be going bad
I have the door panel off. Not really sure what I’m looking for in the rods is my issue.

I assume the actuator will need to be replaced but the manual part of the rods is where I’m confused. Should I order new rods?

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
4,279 Posts
It might help to remove the other door panel so you can watch the rods and actuator do their thing when you lock/unlock the door? It may help to see what's not happening on the other door?
This^^^^^^^
But... Given your list of symptoms with intermittent, inconsistent and seemingly under powered to put the rods thru a full cycle, I think I'd be looking more at the things that drive the mechanicals. Worn wires pushing less current, bad or corroded connections tired motor or actuator, tired springs, gears, etc... Maybe this will help

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I want to start with the basic make it work with a key. I can skip the electronics as that removes a lot of steps and just make the mechanical work. If the mechanical is not work electronics will not help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.