Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i recently purchased a 1990 bronco and am starting to clean her up. however i ran into a somthing thats been giving me some trouble. the passanger door will not unlock. i tried unlocking from both inside and outside. is this a common problem? if so whats the fix?

thanks, steve

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
it wont open by pulling on the handle from the inside?:scratchhe
I know its tuff to tell, but does it sound or feel like its moving the actuator rod inside the door?

if not i suppose its possible either the inside handle is broke/the actuator rod isnt connected.

if so your gonna have to remove the door panel while the door's closed and get at it from there to fix it. I would yank the seat out to get more room to work also.:banghead

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, i can feel the rod move a little. you actually see the pin move a little when trying to open the handle from the inside. i already had the seats out because i was shampooing the carpet so that helps. i saw a philips screw on my driver side door that is completly covered when the door is closed.... this wont cause any problems will it?

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
hey if you can see the door lock pin move, try to grab it with needlenose pliers. or I had to use the key on the outside and push the door and press the button at the same time to get in mine once.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ok, so it won't unlock. Can you still open the door?

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
no he cant, probly has power door locks and the actuator is bound up.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I took my actuators out because they didn't work and it was a PITA to lock/unlock the doors with they connected to the PWDL actuator.....one of these days I'll get back to it....:doh0715:

You may want to try this first, spray some lubricant on the PWDL actuator so it's rod can move, they're supposed to twirl up & down whn activating the open/close button but from moisture, water over time they can rust or it's fubar but can be replaced. IIRC the last time I checked they cost around $90.00 each so you may want to shop around on the internet and see if you can get a better price otherwise all you have to do is disconnect the "door lock rod" going don to the actautor, there are "clips" that sort of swivel on the rod so just pop it off.

If not then you have a problem with the "latch" inside that closes on the "door striker bolt" part # 38420 $7.99 and "door striker bushing" part # 38424 $3.99 which is the anti-rattle device both mfg'd by Doorman to be found in the Help section of any auto store.

Using a # T-50 Torx socket door striker bolts are adjustable and removable to replace the anti-rattle bushing/s, over time the bushings can crack and go away so to replace it use some lubribcant to help slide the bushing on the bolt shaft.

Last, you may need to spray lubricant in the door latch from inside to help free that up from possible corrosion OR something is broken in the latch preventing it from "releasing" from the door striker bolt in order to open the door ......try and figure a way to trigger the latch from inside the door.

I don't know if you can loosen the door latch from inside bacause it has large phillips head screws on the outside......that you can't get to now because the door won't open.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
837 Posts
Anything dealing is going to be majorly hard, or impossible because it wont' open, and b/c it wont open he can't get the door panel off.

All I can suggest it take a pair of needle noise vise grips and try to get the door unlocked so you can open it.

I have to check, but I think I got two power lock actuators out of an old junk truck I had.

But I think with some penetration oil and working the actuator you will be fine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Must be a common problem... my 1990 pas. door lock is very hard to use. I can force it with the key, but the power locks don't stand a chance...

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Well that being the case then you may have have to "sacrfice" the door panel to gain access inside or crawl thru the open window........lol lol

Last PITA resort would be to remove the passenger seat so you have enough room to work inside if you do sacrafice that door panel......IDK...:rofl:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
837 Posts
That is a way, but I wouldn't sacrifice the panel. Unless I had a OEM off a junk truck, the replacements are not the same as the originals. (doesn't have the chrome strip)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i fixed it guys, because i saw the pin moving around when trying to unlock the door i figured i would open the door from the inside and unlock it from the outside. after a few efforts the door unlocked. thanks alot guys

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and no the door would not open at the time..... that was the issue. if the door could open i would have just taken out the door panel and looked for the problem.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out easily Brother and now "you can" take off the door panel and check everything inside, lube everything....lol lol...:thumbup

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
Thread Resurrection..

I have the same problem as the OP. My door will not unlock from the inside or outside. I don't want to sacrifice my door panel but I will sacrifice the lock cylinder. :toothless If I drill a hole through the key hole on the lock cylinder will I be able to get the door open?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts