Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic cylinder around the door strike has fallen apart - can I replace just the plastic cylinder or does the whole door strike need to be replaced?

When I go to remove the door strike - do I need to remove any interior panels, or does the strike just unscrew from the panel without a bolt?

·
Super Moderator
25,801 Posts
yo!
You have a 93? Correct?
If so;
Watch out for the Dorman HELP brand stuff now....the driver/passenger door striker kit w/ bushings, 38445 are not fffin good..bushing diameter is way off and striker frame is off as well....it will bolt-in, but aligning it for a no-rattle fit is efffin a waste of time and possible damage to passenger or driver.

the Dorman HELP tail gate striker bushings pn 38424 are a good fit & the door bushings driver/passenger bushings are incl. in this kit & fit better than the 38445 part!
Source: by miesk5

Striker Bolt Differences; "...89-96 Door bolt shown has a replacement bushing. The bolt is designed to be unscrewed from the safety loop or washer, but after being tightened, the hole sometimes shrinks, preventing this..."
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/687500
here is da pic by Steve

====
next is da DOOR ALIGNMENT & incl is the Captive Nut Plate; "...the strike bolt is a T50 (like the seat belt bolts). A cordless impact is invaluable. I also recommend some padded prybars to lift/slide the door without chipping the paint. As you can see in the pic under #1, you'll need a few extensions & a ratchet to break & set the bolts. All of the nut plates in the body are loose (for adjustments), but captive (they shouldn't fall if the fastener is removed), but anything can happen. If one falls, just remove the interior trim panel & retrieve it. To reinstall the strike bolt nut plate, you'll need to remove the bedside panel & peel the butyl (tar) pad away. The plate itself will be behind the shoulder reel on the floor, or on the bag of wadding crammed in down there..."
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at FSB http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87752

btw, before removing the Bolt and bushing, I use masking tape to outline that bracket especially if the door is in alignment; that way, Installing the bracket w/new bushing will be ezier... wafter installing it, gently close door until you feel the door latch closing on the bushing so you don't damage the new bushing if it isn't lined-up right.

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
They're like $5 at AutoZone. Buy the HELP! parts like miesk5 mentioned, and you'll get the right parts to do both doors and your tailgate.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I can just unscrew the striker and replace the plastic bushing ( white in the photo above)?

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
Yes. But be sure to take a Sharpie and mark all the way around the big washer before you do anything. This way you can make sure you re-align the striker exactly where it was before.

·
Super Moderator
25,801 Posts
yo,
yw
also, did you see that you'll need a Torx bit? the strike bolt is a T50 - can be used on seat belts, tail gate striker etc.
As Steve wrote, an impact may be needed; but I used PB Blaster & my 1/2" breaker bar on it

Door & Window, Door Striker Bolts & Kits,
Tailgate/Liftgate Striker Bushing Assortment
Make: Ford 2003-83
assortment contains 2 each of the following sizes: 1/2" I.D. x 5/8" and 1/2" I.D. x 1"
Brand: Dorman - HELP! - Carded

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just used electrical tape and its been holding up fine

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought the bushings a while back, The pass side striker bolt came off nice and I swapped the bushing. The drivers side striker bolt would not back off the metal "cage" I ended up getting it off,but it messed up the striker bolt, so I had to junk it and buy a new striker. I think I ended up getting a bad striker like Miesk5s is talking about, because every since I put the new striker on the door does not rattle anymore, but I can see the door move a little when I hit a bump!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried electrical tape as a "quick fix", but it did not hold up very long. Just recently had both far apart - hope I can remove them without any hassles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is soo nice to have this site. I just recently replaced my striker bolts for the doors and need new bushings on my TG bolts but could not figure out how to get them on, I thought that the bolts and washer were one piece. Thanks Miesk5 for posting Steve83's site with that info about the bolts being made to screw the washer off.. big help. They only replacement TG striker bolts I found were 17ea. and that is a pretty penny more than what I paid for the door strikers. Even though I am a noob I have learned a lot from this site..... All from the search option! Thanks ya'll

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is late I did My Drivers side TAILGATE Bushing Today, The old bushing was SHot pretty much gone.. so while at My local autozone I was looking at the strikers Knowing I gotta do the driver door too... I grabbed 2 tailgate bolts w/bushing attached and realized one was a part number off 123455 and 123456 We'll say hmm Left and right tailgate bolts? haha Noo.. and They couldnt get anything on the computer to tell em either... the tailgate bolts Likely are larger heavier on the bronco F 150 and smaller on the Bronco II and Ranger sized vehicles ..

The BUSHING KIT has two longs and two shorter ones NO Bolts ..all items were Dorman so after markets....I havent tryed the driver door Yet But need to asap I'll use the long bushing in the kit The short ones are the tailgate bushings I actually tryed the long one 1st ...not enough thread showing... by removing the Taillight (2 outside screws and 2 from along the inside of the gate again the 2 short screws inside and the long ones outside... reach in and the nut end may also move around .. so using the sharpie would help though I suspect you'll need to adjust a bit.... I'm not looking forward to doing the drivers door, Bushing knowin my luck......lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
just rehashing this old thread- part #38424 is still available at Advance Auto for about $5 and it includes bushings for both doors and each side of the tailgate. FYI-They don't show when they search on the computer. Only the striker bolt shows up under bronco, so just go to the Help! display and grab the part. Just got done swapping mine out and was a good fit which eliminated some rattles front and back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts