Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems years ago there used to be a whole kit with lock cylinders to rekey the whole truck. I'm not finding anything like this anymore, does anyone know where such a thing may exist? Or am I taking the cylinders to a locksmith?

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Yo 187,
Please, fill out you Signature with year, engine, transmission/TC, etc...
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar and then select “Account Settings” from the drop down menu.

From your “Account Settings” page you will then see more navigation option of the left side. Select “Signature”.

Now you can simply enter your signature information in the text editor and click save.

For ignition keys and cylinders, door and TG keys and cylinders see https://shop.broncograveyard.com/searchprods.asp

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was digging around there this morning, I found door cylinders, nothing else. LMC has door and ignition as well. Trying to keep the truck to 2 keys. 1 would be better, but I don’t think the 80’s trucks can be outfitted that way? I don’t have door or tailgate keys for my 82, but I have an 80 with all the cylinders I may just steal and go that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Yo,
Usually the ignition key is different from from tg & door keys which are same

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Yo CZ Eddie,
From notes:
Round head key for glovebox, if equipped with a lock. Unless a previous owner or shop changed the tg lock cylinder.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
The profile of the round and square headed keys are the same, so its possible to rekey everything to use a single key. I did this to mine, and really enjoy having just one key. Been meaning to do a tech write up on this... Check out post 47 on my build thread: https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/d_rocks-backroad-78-ranger-xlt.502384/page-3

Re-pinning the locks can be tedious and time consuming, but is something a locksmith should be able to handle easily. As far as the tailgate cylinder goes, these are not available new anywhere that I know of. Aside from eBay, check wrecking yards for Broncos as well as some older Ford station wagons that had power rear windows. These are also good for finding tailgate switch replacements. Glovebox cylinders should be easier to find, since you can check trucks also. These too are not available new, to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yo,
Usually the ignition key is different from from tg & door keys which are same
Not sure if it changed for different years, but in '93 the square key is universal (i.e. ignition and doors) and the round key only operates the tailgate.

The profile of the round and square headed keys are the same, so its possible to rekey everything to use a single key.
Again, wonder if that is a date specific feature. At least in the '93 the profile or offset of the round and square keys are direct opposites of one another.

PO had switched out a lock cylinder(s) somewhere along the line - I got 3 keys when I purchased it.

The ignition cylinder was pretty sloppy and Amazon had a package deal last year that included 2 door cylinders, an ignition cylinder and 2 OEM Ford keys for something like $75-$80 - far cheaper than the quote from the only locksmith I could find that would repin the cylinders to match.

Easy install as well.

Apologize if this info is irrelevant re: model year. Until VerticleScope sorts out our Bronco information (footers don't work with Tapatalk) I'm flying blind.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an 82, all my previous 80’s Broncos had 2 different keys, round one for everything but the ignition, square one for the ignition. My 93 has 1 key for all. I’d love the one key setup for my 82 but i don’t think it’s feasible. The round and square keys have different profiles. I’d just be happy with having keys that actually fit the truck. I’ll dig around on eBay and Amazon when I get back and see what I can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Not sure if it changed for different years, but in '93 the square key is universal (i.e. ignition and doors) and the round key only operates the tailgate.

Again, wonder if that is a date specific feature. At least in the '93 the profile or offset of the round and square keys are direct opposites of one another.

PO had switched out a lock cylinder(s) somewhere along the line - I got 3 keys when I purchased it.

The ignition cylinder was pretty sloppy and Amazon had a package deal last year that included 2 door cylinders, an ignition cylinder and 2 OEM Ford keys for something like $75-$80 - far cheaper than the quote from the only locksmith I could find that would repin the cylinders to match.

Easy install as well.

Apologize if this info is irrelevant re: model year. Until VerticleScope sorts out our Bronco information (footers don't work with Tapatalk) I'm flying blind.
Interesting... All the keys and locks I can find laying around here have the same jog direction. This includes doors, ignition, glovebox, tailgate from 2 separate 78's, doors from several other 70-somethings', and doors from a '94 F150. My '94 ignition is missing, so can't compare that. Dates may well play a factor here, but I think it may also vary by region. Stricter vehicle security requirements in some areas, and cost savings everywhere else. The glovebox uses few pins than other locks, so a "dumbed down" key could be used there, but the master key would still work too, if pinned accordingly. At some point they also changed from pins to wafers, which I've never tried to rebuild but appear to be more complicated/costly to do so.
I know of someone who went so far as to re-pin several station wagons to have the same key to access all doors, ignitions, tailgates, etc. One key to rule them all. Not an idea I condone, but definitely do-able

·
Super Moderator
23,336 Posts
Yo Want2BS8ed,
Our 96, bought new has same; ignition & door locks are square, round is TG & glove box, if equipped.

j. R. NICE wrote, "Ford has used several keying / locking strategies over the years. In your case, the Ford "10" cut was used on Broncos beginning in 1992, and started being replaced in 1995."

Ford has used several keying / locking strategies over the years. In your case, the Ford "10" cut was used on Broncos beginning in 1992, and started being replaced in 1995..." read more @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/can-ignition-key-be-made-from-door-lock-cylinder.179856/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts