Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
US, 89, 5.8,C6, 1356 BW (manual), 5 Bolt Hub (automatic) No modes like to keep it or
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing centering joint ball in rear drive shaft. I have this gold ring that looks like a seal that goes on top. But what I had on is longer in the sides more like a cap, it does have a rubber seal.

The gold ring could fit in the cap, but the cap would not sit fully in the centering ball. So did I get the wrong centering ball? It went fairly well. Thinking reuse old cap and put a little RTV in the edges to hold it in place. Got a little bent taking it off.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,866 Posts
I'll post pics of what I did on my 78 if you promise not to say "Mine's not a 78" and then huff and puff about it. lol

I know it's not 100% apples to apples, but maybe it'd give you an idea.

·
Premium Member
US, 89, 5.8,C6, 1356 BW (manual), 5 Bolt Hub (automatic) No modes like to keep it or
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem if I swap the numbers, carry the one and bounce the light off of Venus it might look like and 89

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,866 Posts
Removed old "CV" from the driveshaft.

Old centering ball and new centering ball pre-cleanup.

Sleeve for the centering ball was stuck.

Old sleeve removed.

New centering ball in the new sleeve (they're one unit, the old one just popped out when I pried on the ball. just FYI to anyone wondering).

Painted everything before driving in the new ball.

Use the handle of my HF floor jack (only thing on hand large enough) to drive the sleeve in.

New ball fully installed.

Seal placed on top of the assembly.

Repeated process with the jack handle. All done.

Fresh grease escaping from the hole in the rear after I filled it up.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What was that part number, the cap is what I need? The one I got did not have it.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Let me see if I can figure out where I got it from. Just off the top of my head I want to say broncograveyard.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doosenberry,

Thanks for the help I think I am stuck with the one I have and will have to re-use the cap. I can find the cap anywhere either and really do not feel like spending the $40 from BG just for the cap.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,389 Posts
You know you can buy the whole ball assembly, with that one yoke half as an entire piece? No need to futz with the caps, sleeves, etc.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
That's true. When I rebuilt mine I saved about $50-60 rebuilding it compared to buying the whole unit.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BigBlue, that was my thought process save about $40 for about 30 minutes of work. Did know the cap was going to be an issue. But on the bigger problems, like replacing ball joint and u-joints on the front axle. For some reason the sealed U-joint are giving a really hard time.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,389 Posts
BigBlue, that was my thought process save about $40 for about 30 minutes of work. Did know the cap was going to be an issue. But on the bigger problems, like replacing ball joint and u-joints on the front axle. For some reason the sealed U-joint are giving a really hard time.
Sure it is more expensive, but time is money. Also, it was much easier for me to do in a campground in Moab! That was already a hassle lol. I had to use a couple trash bags as a workbench to keep the sand out of everything.

Reactions: AbandonedBronco

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
From the factory these trucks have a large rubber seal. For whatever reason its hard to find now, most kits just come with that little seal. I had to find a part number and track it down to get a new one when I did mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts