Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here we go i have a stock 93 bronco 302 132k gets 15 to the gallon, here is my question i have been thinkying of ttb and the design just doesn't make logical sense, so i want to go for sas which means d44 or d60 kingpin or d60 some other versions, but another project i would like to undertake would to perform 4 wheel steering with a matching front and rear setup,

1. what are your ideas of this plan
2. which axle gearing setups do you sugest
3. is it feasable to add another set of joints to fail when out in the boonies
4. is this worth it to have a incredible gokart "like" turning radius

the truck will be used in the north east so mud pits, creaks, rocky trail and hill climbs are present, but i would still like it to remain my dd and handle moderatly well on road,,, i understand this is a lot to ask but i can't be the only one who wants/ planning to build the all around best 4x4.

rock krawlin, nah
haulin gear, camping, tower,

SUPA RIG

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Sounds like rockwells would be the way to go, if you need anything that big.

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
just look up at the top of this forum, and you'll see a handful of "stickie's" highlited in red. read ALL of those and soak up as much info as you can. then once you're done with those, use the search function and read some more

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
D44 in a rear steer? :rofl: :rofl:

Sounds like you need to spend some time on Pirate where they do a lot of that sort of thing. Do a bunch of searching before posting up questions like this. It'll save a lot of grief, you'll be less pissed off, and you'll answer 99% of your questions.

And what does your fuel mileage have to do with it :scratchhe

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
pinky and the brain said:
i have been thinkying of ttb and the design just doesn't make logical sense,
What doesnt make sense about it?

so i want to go for sas which means d44 or d60 kingpin or d60 some other versions, but another project i would like to undertake would to perform 4 wheel steering with a matching front and rear setup,
I have 4 questions for you.

1. How old are you?

2. How much mechanical and fabrication experiance do you have?

3. Do you have the ability to Fabricate ?
(A shop with necesary tools, welder, plasma cutter, etc)

4. How much money do you have/willing to spend?

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
What you're looking at, dual steering (front) rockwells or Mog's would probably be the best choice. Dual D60's is pretty damn rough on the budget. Look up Ox1's buildup, and in comparison the mog's look "relatively" cheap to build up.

Go to pirate, read, read and read some more. Also...daily driver streetability is not the greatest option with a project like this. 4WS, big axles, basically competition-style components are not daily driver components.

·
Had a mullet in HS
1,084 Posts
i would still like it to remain my dd and handle moderatly well on road

There are probibly 3 or maybe 4 people in the world brave/stupid/crazy enough to drive a piece-mill 4 wheel steer rig (not built by the likes of Blue torch or poison spyder) at speeds over 40 mph

Having said that, and in a parrallel universe where money is not a stumbling block..... Find yourself a wrecked 2003 or newer 4-wheel steer GM truck and pull that rear axle and computer with servo's to control the rear steer.

While you're at it, yank the motor, CPU, tranny, t-case, interior, etc then find a front axle and swap the outers to 6 lug to match and it's simple as pie :toothless

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
CasterTroy said:
There are probibly 3 or maybe 4 people in the world brave/stupid/crazy enough to drive a piece-mill 4 wheel steer rig (not built by the likes of Blue torch or poison spyder) at speeds over 40 mph

Having said that, and in a parrallel universe where money is not a stumbling block..... Find yourself a wrecked 2003 or newer 4-wheel steer GM truck and pull that rear axle and computer with servo's to control the rear steer.

While you're at it, yank the motor, CPU, tranny, t-case, interior, etc then find a front axle and swap the outers to 6 lug to match and it's simple as pie :toothless
Then he'd have a *cough*Blazer*Cough* and which could give the Garbage Motors Corp some ideas.:histerica

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
my guess is if you're asking questions like this you are not qualified to do this and if you do it will end up being very questionably built and unsafe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks jrd, saurin, i konw that a dd with this gear is not the best option but it is a goal
ok i am 16, yes i am young but i have been dpoing autocad for years. i work at a machine shop and have acess and know how to mill, weld, cnc, lathe, ... not to be ignorant, i also have a great set of "oldtimers", uncles, grandpa, ---> family, that have been in fabrication machine engineering feilds for 30 + years, and hopefully this willl not be a peice meal operation

i am willing to spend 5,000 for the drive train, and this will be overbuilt, ie double spec not to mention weightand go through rigourous testing and tuning ,,,

i setup this thread so i could see what others thought or suggested, i would love a set of rockwells ,

i also tried searching for 4ws, 4 wheel steering, as well as reading throught many of the sas thread

crazy caster
why is this so crazy, i would never trust my life to a hobbled up drive train, if i do get around to doing this i will make sure that it is beyond spec in everway. Monster trucks are 4ws 4wd i am leaning to scale down a version of that drive train or similar,

and fuel mileage has nothing to do with it i just thought i would give i light background that would be pretty standard

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Monster trucks are 4ws 4wd i am leaning to scale down a version of that drive train or similar,
Funny, I havent seen many monster trucks on the highway during my comute lately.

Look man, your 16. I had a lot of extreme ideas when I was 16 to, learn a little more about the subject and you will understand that the two extremes you are shooting for are verry verry dificult to combine into one truck.

Not to mention expensive.

How many stock axles have you broke so far?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Man, if you've got the money, knowledge, help, time, facility, etc. Go for it. It's been said plenty of times anything can be done for the right price. Besides if GM can do it... why can't a 16 year old.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
i am willing to spend 5,000 for the drive train, and this will be overbuilt, ie double spec not to mention weightand go through rigourous testing and tuning ,,,
That's a good start, it might build maybe half of the project you're talking about. If you want a nice eye opener do a search for "SAS cost".

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
if you seriously want to have a 4wheel steer rig for a daily, your most cost effective option is going to be to source a set of rockwell 2 1/2 steer axles. you can get them in front and rear apps. and in most places, for the same price as a f/r set of 1 tons. for example, i can think of one guy here in ocala who has a set of front/rear steering rockwells for 2grand, pretty much ready to bolt in. now the problem you're going to run into the clearance for the toploading pinions, so you'll have to run a hefty amount of lift (12" +). this isnt exactly the most practical height for a DD. also, the gearing that comes factory in rocks doesnt really lend itself to street driving. you're looking at around 50-55 MPH tops, unless yuo work gearing around elsewhere to make up for the low gears in the axles. to make the rig somewhat safe to drive on road with 4 wheel steering, make a set of steering stops that will bolt to the housing and knuckles, and figure out a way to disable the rear steering. i know this pretty much defeats the purpose of having 4 wheel steering on the street, but in this case safety should take priority over having a tight turning radius. if you do actually decide to go through with this, take lots of pics and let us know how it goes

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
What will kill you on a dd is fuel costs. You better have Leno or Arnold money. My F350 sits most of the time. Driving my bronco every day is clobbering me and it isn't over built. I have an 86 I'm wanting to build and I'm rethinking things because of the fuel situation. Hell, I've in contemplated converting it to 2x and losing the 44 and tcase just for a good pavement/dirt road pounder! Insurance and fuel raped me last year. :banghead

Edit: In other words, you will need a big engine to move that 'Supa Rig' and a 460 would get you about 6 mpg in a monster rig.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
jrdbronco said:
to make the rig somewhat safe to drive on road with 4 wheel steering, make a set of steering stops that will bolt to the housing and knuckles, and figure out a way to disable the rear steering. i know this pretty much defeats the purpose of having 4 wheel steering on the street, but in this case safety should take priority over having a tight turning radius.
just run the rear on a separate hydro system from the front and control it through a joystick type thing. rig up a simple lock on the stick for street use and your set.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,582 Posts
SouthFloridaBronco85 said:
Besides if GM can do it... why can't a 16 year old.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :histerica

1 - 20 of 41 Posts