Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a bare set of DOVE heads that have hardened seats and a port job. I think I'm gonna go ahead and put them on my 460 that is going in my 1977 F-150. What do I need to do to get them on there?
Can I use the valves from my 1974 460? The heads on my engine now have pedastal mount rocker arms, the DOVE heads will not accept these. On my Mustang I have stud mount rockers with guide plates and hardened push rods with roller rockers and poly locks. I was going to run a similar set up on my DOVE heads. What is a cheaper alternative? What did the DOVE have from the factory? With out a pedastal mount rocker I don't see what keeps the rocker arm from spinning with out the use of guide plates. HELP!

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
The D0VE heads used non-adjustable rail-type rockers. The rocker tip keeps averything lined up. You could go stock, or its pretty straight-forward to cut the stud bosses down 0.10" (or the guide plate thcikness) and go with guide plates and constant diameter studs for adjustable roller rockers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure about the valve sizes? Cause I planned on putting the D3 valves in the DO heads, they look the same to me but I haven't really looked at it too closely.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Yes, I'm sure. The C8-C9-D0 heads are a totally different animal than the later ones. The chambers are smaller as are the valves. The compression is 10.5:1 with flat tops. I've got the C8 heads on my 429.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BroncoBabe said:
Yes, I'm sure. The C8-C9-D0 heads are a totally different animal than the later ones. The chambers are smaller as are the valves. The compression is 10.5:1 with flat tops. I've got the C8 heads on my 429.
I'm running into some major problems with this build. I saw a piston on Jegs website that was a 3cc dish and with 76cc chambers they said 12.6 to one compression.

And here is a Car Craft build. They have the 10.322 deck block(I think I have that) with a 28cc dish piston and DO heads and they are at 8.82 to one compression. 433 hp on pump gas. I can't figure out what pistons I need. :banghead
Is there a site that lists all these 460 changes? http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0008_ford/

What size valves are in the DO heads? 2.08 1.65?
What about the D3 heads? 2.09, 1.65?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All right guys. I just did a search for D3VE valve size and DOVE valve size and I am coming up with 2.08 for both.

Now I just called Napa and had them look up the intake valves for a 1970 Continental with a 460 and a 1973 Continental with a 460. They said they are different part numbers but are both 2.082. What do you guys think about this? I guess I'll put some metal dye on the valve and check the seat contact.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Blown 331 said:
Are you sure about the valve sizes? Cause I planned on putting the D3 valves in the DO heads, they look the same to me but I haven't really looked at it too closely.
The heads are the same size..the length is waht is slightly different:

C8VE-D0VE intake 2.083 head/ 5.292 length
exhaust 1.65 head/ 5.085 length

D3 and onward (73-78) intake 2.083 head/ 5.204 length
exhaust 1.65 head/4.983 length

I'm guessing that is how Henry compensated for having the combustion chamber approx 0.10" deeper on the later model heads....so it wouldn't mess with teh rest of the valve train geometry.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
i found some sweet roller bearing tip stamped rockers, studs, guides and rods all on ebay really cheap. i was gonna do my d0ve's too, but i think im just gonna sell them... still dont know. what do your pedestals look like? mine have a step or notch in them. dunno why.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dad has a complete DOVE motor that is disassebled. We compared valves last night, they are the same size but as bcm69 mentioned, the DOVE valves are longer so it looks like I'm buying a new set, so much for a budget build.

The 460 I have is a 1972, I also found out that my heads are open chamber. This is the only year for an open chamber head, thats why the pistons are nearly flat top. I think 1968 through 1987 take the same piston other than 1972.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts