Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I have an '85 351w that had the downtubes-cat replaced with an Eastern single cat downtube setup. Now I have to replace with original dual cats (to appease the CA smog Nazi's) So no worries? Magnaflow 33007 front, 34016 rear. Trouble is the downtubes need to be the two separate 2" type and the Eastern setup is into a single "Y" 2.5" at the wrong angle-position.

Have this

Need this

LMC has the original downtubes with cat that is of course NOT legal in CA under the 1-1-09 rules (just like everything else). I've spent hours searching for something at least near stock to make this work. Been to the wrecking yards, but in CA they cut out the cats-downtubes as soon as they pull them in cause they can't resell used cats and I assume the sell them for the metals.

Short of having a new exhaust system custom fabbed (which makes my wallet light just thinking about) does anyone have a source for original configuration separate downtubes that will work with these two in, one out cats like Magnaflow 33007 that are the only ones available in CA? :banghead

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
ha ha. ca sucks with all thier stupid laws.

just be sure anything you buy has a carb number on it

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,781 Posts
The CA laws only affect '96+ (OBD 2). IIRC your '85 didn't have two cats from the factory. If you want a good y-pipe, get the bassani and a catco cat. It will pass CA smog if you get the catco cat with the correct part number.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
stan, my brothers 85 f150 with a 302, had 2 cats.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts

this passed just fine. cat is a magnaflow 93519, 3 way with air injection provision.

all i did was cut out the factory cats, replace the 2 into one with the flowmaster Y-pipe, add a flange to bolt the cat on and i was good to go. i usually run exhaust without a cat so i bolt that in, takes about 10 minutes to change exhaust between street and offroad only.

it doesn't technically matter if you have 2 cats for visual. there are 2 types of catalyzing action that need to happen in a ford to pass smog, i don't remember what the chemical names are off hand, but if you search google it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. the air injection needs to be between the 2 cats. if you don't have a convertor that does both (a 3 way, or one of each type) you won't pass the sniffer, even if you do have 2 cats. a 3 way is a perfectly legal replacement because it is 2 cats packaged in one container. its worth it to do some research.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually "stan the man" the smog laws do affect everything post '75. Under the new 1-1-09 laws original equipment CARB approved only. And they have restricted things so much pretty much the only cats available are the Magnaflow or I believe a Walker. And yes much to my dismay my '85 did have dual cats.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
The CA laws only affect '96+ (OBD 2).
i think you are confused stan, anything registered in CA made after 1975 has to pass its original emissions standards and retain all original emissions equipment or a replacement with a CARB EO number.

i'm pretty sure anything with EFI had 2 cats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andi351 they no longer will sell magnaflow 93519 single cat in CA. Believe me I've spent hours trying to get my hands on a single replacement. Even to the thought of ordering one in Reno and driving over to pick it up. But the @#*%^ will only ship them to your home, not to the store!?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andy are those downtubes going into the Flowmaster Y original or aftermarket? They are the part I'm missing to make the Magnaflow cats work.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
downtubes were my originals. when i had my bronco smogged, they didn't even crawl under to look at the exhaust.

·
Registered
408 Posts
It is my understanding that the CARB certification is what will let you pass with aftermarket parts. If you have a CARB approved system (along with the paperwork that comes with it, and the stamp on it) then as long as you pass the sniffer test and any local laws are observed (such as exhaust exit location and DB level) then you will be good.

I don't understand why they would want to make you use old technology that doesn't work as well anyways. Any CARB approved y-pipe and cat has to meet modern standards, not 1985 standards.

The only reason why they used 2 cats in the first place was because 1 did one thing, and the other did 2 things, and modern cats are "3 way", which means that 2 cats aren't needed. The only thing that they have to be sure of is that the cat can handle the displacement of your engine.

I would just call bassani, they have experience with this crap and will be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Went through this same situation late last year on my 86. Went to the junkyard and removed a dual inlet cat y-pipe that was in good condition from an 88 f150. Had the Magnaflow cats installed and all is well in the land of milk and honey.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Junk yard would be the best bet for the y pip stuff and you may just have to bend over and buy a cat from a muffler shop. :(

Me personaly I'm one of the hated people here in California that doesn't care about the smog nazi's and what they want.. I always figure a way around it. :brownbag

·
Registered
90 Posts
i think you should spend the $200 on the bassani y pipe because it looks very similar to the stock one. then just attach the new cats that you already bought, and you should pass. That's what I did, and since my truck was pre 96, i didnt have to provide proof of carb # or anything like that on my high flow catco cat. good luck!

·
Registered
76 Posts
They wont ship either the bassani or a catco to california because of smog. I moved here from out of state and have the one cat set up and was able to pass.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If anyone else is having this problem, may I say Ebay is a lifesaver. Nuff said!:thumbup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts