Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey every one I just bought a '86 bronco 300 six in December, and the other morning I started it up and went back inside to finish getting ready for work and when i came out it was over heating. Its was leaking coolant out of the drain cock area. I talked to a guy at work and he said it probably froze and then just blew out the drain cock well I ordered a new drain cock and went to install it it didn't fit, well i felt around and it felt like there was a piece of plastic still in there, so i pulled it out. The piece that i pulled out was smaller than the drain cock advance sold me. I'm currently looking at buying a 3/4 inch rubber plug that has a bolt in it that tightens and expands the plug, i heard of this working before.I'd rather fix it the right way though.
the first image is the drain cock they sold me and the inside of the insert

the second image is the outside of the insert you can see the clips that hold it in to the radiator.

the insert is 1 inch long and about a 1/2 inch wide.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I tried the expanding plug on my old bronco's radiator for the exact same problem. The plugs never held and I eventually gave up and bought a new radiator.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Well, the draincock isn't :that: important in the end. I'd just start puting it all back together with liberal amounts of JB weld applied and let it setup overnight.

Justin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
problem solved

I went to advance to day to pick up jb weld, and to look for a rubber plug and found the right part. right where all the rubber plugs and other drain cocks were, was the right one. it even included the little broken clip.. lesson learned, never trust the computer. The part was motormite Help! 61108.

·
Registered
302 Posts
lol mine leaked and didnt work with the new draincock, and i got angry and waterwelded (jb) the draincock into the radiator on my old 302 bronco. worked fine after that X-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts