Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
447 Posts
Very nice pictures, like your rims, seem to be the same than I have!!

You can do wild camping, correct?
Here in Germany its forbidden totally and will be fined very tough, several hundred euros....

·
Registered
86 Eddie Bauer edition, 302 speed density, AOD, 4” pro comp lift- 33” tires
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Very nice pictures, like your rims, seem to be the same than I have!!

You can do wild camping, correct?
Here in Germany its forbidden totally and will be fined very tough, several hundred euros....
They are the stock wheels I believe. Here you can camp with your vehicle as long as there’s an old dirt road or designated trail. We have pretty lenient laws here

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
447 Posts
yes I like most of the US laws :) and I like the ability to mostly do what you want as long as you do not harm anybody.

This is far different over here. If you build a house they tell you what color your roof has to have and what trees to plant where on YOUR ground.... crazy!

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Welcome to FSB and congrats on the clean lookin' 86! Looks like you're havin' fun with her already!

Reactions: OdinsBeard

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
This is far different over here. If you build a house they tell you what color your roof has to have and what trees to plant where on YOUR ground.... crazy!
That is crazy!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Welcome to FSB and congrats on the clean lookin' 86! Looks like you're havin' fun with her already!
Thanks! I definitely am having a blast with it. Hopefully here soon I’ll actually be doing more mods that constitute the build thread haha

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So something I’ve been dealing with in the bronco since I bought it is the fact that the stereo doesn’t work. And it’s starting to get on my nerves that the older 77 pickup has a working sound system and my almost decade newer bronco doesn’t :unsure:
To start things off it has an aftermarket head unit and speakers already, however I think there used to be an amp or sub that was disconnected and that’s why it’s not working. At least that’s my theory.

is it just me or are these fricken huge??

Lastly this is the jumbled mess of wired I believe was attached to an amp or something. Does anyone know how to bypass this and get rid of the wiring to make the stereo work or does it require an amp to operate? I’m not super into sound systems so I don’t really know what I’m doing here, I’d just like to be able to turn the radio on :cool:

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
166 Posts
I've got an amp/sub thing that I ripped out of mine that you could have. My PO had it mounted in the rear seat foot area where my kids feet go. so it was one of the first things I took out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I've got an amp/sub thing that I ripped out of mine that you could have. My PO had it mounted in the rear seat foot area where my kids feet go. so it was one of the first things I took out.
I appreciate it, but I’m not really a fan of having a box/amp/sub contraption taking up space back there. I’m a fan of normal working stereo systems haha

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
166 Posts
I appreciate it, but I’m not really a fan of having a box/amp/sub contraption taking up space back there. I’m a fan of normal working stereo systems haha
I understand. I just mentioned it, because it looks like you could just plug it into those wires you have there. It is relatively compact at least. Just guessing, but a few inches thick by 12 inches by 18 inches or something like that. I'm not a stereo person either, so I'm not sure what is needed for wiring.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I understand. I just mentioned it, because it looks like you could just plug it into those wires you have there. It is relatively compact at least. Just guessing, but a few inches thick by 12 inches by 18 inches or something like that. I'm not a stereo person either, so I'm not sure what is needed for wiring.
I really appreciate the offer, I was just telling my girlfriend how cool people are on this forum and then you offered me that. Anyways I think I’m going to gut that mangled mess of wires and try and get the stereo to work with the normal speakers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I’ve done a little research and some more digging around to sort out the missing amp situation. I found a simple wiring diagram that adds up to the wires I have available.

This bundle of wires has 4 total, one power that runs up to the firewall to an in-line fuse that goes to the starter solenoid. The blue goes under the dash and disappears, so I assume it is connected to the head unit (according to the diagram that would be correct). Lastly there are two cords that would plug into an amp

The power wire actually has two inline fuses, cool!

Earlier I showed there being 4 wires coming from under the floor mat, however there’s one more ground wire that is cut short. According to the diagram that just needs to be a chassis ground

This is the cut ground wire. It seems that if I did get a small amp and just hid it under the middle seat then maybe I could get this system to work again. Anyways these are my findings for the day. Let me know what ya think!

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
The radio should switch on even without an amp.

The blue small wire may be connected to electrical antena of the radio output, to tell the amp "turn on" or turn off, depending what happends to radio (head unit).

red = 12v power
black = ground

but again, the radio must turn out no matter if an amp is connected or not.
If it does not, check for it (fuse in radio - some have a fuse next to connectors, fuse in fuse box ? )

then check if the speaker wires are connected to radio.
usually in an amp setup speakers are connected to an AMP instead of radio. This you may have to change.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The radio should switch on even without an amp.

The blue small wire may be connected to electrical antena of the radio output, to tell the amp "turn on" or turn off, depending what happends to radio (head unit).

red = 12v power
black = ground

but again, the radio must turn out no matter if an amp is connected or not.
If it does not, check for it (fuse in radio - some have a fuse next to connectors, fuse in fuse box ? )

then check if the speaker wires are connected to radio.
usually in an amp setup speakers are connected to an AMP instead of radio. This you may have to change.
Ok I’ll pull the stereo out and check to see if it’s connected to speakers and look to see if it’s even hooked to power. If it can run without an amp then I’ll get rid of all those wires

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
success!!!
Today I read through the owners manual trying to figure out the fuse block, the radio fuse was in perfect condition. My next task was to pull the stereo out and inspect the connections in the back

Here was the wiring behind the stereo, thankfully they actually labeled some of the wires which was awesome. Although there were no obvious wires that were severed or disconnected. At this point I remembered all my training from the cable guy when I was a kid. I could hear the echo of “did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in?” From my past. So I decided to do just that, I unplugged the connector and VWALA it was hiding a blown 10 amp fuse. Freaking success!! I replaced it with a 15 amp fuse for good measure and it booted up.

Im guessing it blew because of the PO’s amp/sub setup that used to be in here. Now that I know I don’t need any of that I’ll just rip out that fuggly wiring.

I’ll be keeping my trusty fuse tray in the bronco from now on. O’reillys saved the day again

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
very good, glad you found the problem and I could help!!!
further it looks like the speakers are connected to radio, so the amp was maybe just for a subwoofer, so you can rid of the wiring!!!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts