Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
86 Eddie Bauer edition, 302 speed density, AOD, 4” pro comp lift- 33” tires
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
What is the paint color on your Bronco?
It’s not the stock paint so I don’t know what the paint code is. The original paint was burgundy which I plan on going back to in the future

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I just received a huge care package from the mail man today. My new gears showed up while I was eating waffles. Man what a good morning. I am stoked and can’t wait to get these in!

pretty slick packaging as well

You guys weren’t kidding, these 4.56’s are thicker than a snicker

Also came with a master overhaul kit for both the front and back

Now all I’m waiting for is my spartan locker to arrive and then it’s go time! Also I have several care packages on the way that should arrive soon...so look forward to a whole bunch of parts flying at the bronco in the next few weeks:cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Another day of packages! I got some of the big things I’ve been waiting for and I am stoked!

I walked outside to find these, they’re BFG KM3’s in 33x12.50x15. Man are they gorgeous

A little mock up

Loaded em up and headed to the local tire shop

BOOM

A little while later the ups guy brought me my new bilstein 5100’s, 6 of those guys.

Little comparison

It was a hell of a chore getting these in, they’re so stiff it took two of us to compress them

Hard to see but here’s the rear ones. I’m still waiting for the lower brackets for the auxiliary shocks on the front. The previous owner ditched the quad shocks for some reason :rolleyes: But with the 4 it rides so much better than before

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Today my spartan locker arrived, along with the wrong lower shock mounts that I ordered. I’m having a hard time finding the correct lower shock mount for the auxiliary shocks, you guys know where I can get these? Anyways as for the regearing situation I’m just waiting for the notched cross pin from BGY, then it’s game time!

look at this sexyness

Once these brackets arrived I saw that they are meant for radius arms, not the front of the ttb axle. Dang it Bobby

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well after a day and a half of struggles I finally got the softopper installed. Let me tell you it’s sick as hell. I wasn’t a super fan of the instructions not showing minute details that would’ve helped, but it was worth it!

getting the old top off went smooth, only broke one bolt. Also I had scoured every automotive store trying to find a T40 security bit only to find the previous owner swapped out the bolts for something easier. Both happy and mad about that one

Taking these off alone is not fun. I do not recommend it :LOL:

there it is installed!

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
570 Posts
nice upgrades I missed unfortuanely, but in the end, better late than never.

very nice, even the soft topper!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nice to see another 86 cruising around Montana. Good work so far! You're going to love the gears with a stock 302. Don't forget to recalibrate your speedo after the swap. Speedo-gears

Its funny how in 86 some have the 8.8 and some have the 9 inch rear. I see yours has the 8.8, mine came factory with a 9 inch. Maybe has to do with the transmission since yours is an AOD and mine is a t18. Or just timing on the spare parts bin

Reactions: OdinsBeard

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
nice upgrades I missed unfortuanely, but in the end, better late than never.

very nice, even the soft topper!
Thanks! So far I’m loving everything that I’ve done

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Nice to see another 86 cruising around Montana. Good work so far! You're going to love the gears with a stock 302. Don't forget to recalibrate your speedo after the swap. Speedo-gears

Its funny how in 86 some have the 8.8 and some have the 9 inch rear. I see yours has the 8.8, mine came factory with a 9 inch. Maybe has to do with the transmission since yours is an AOD and mine is a t18. Or just timing on the spare parts bin
It’s good to hear more positive stuff about the gears I’ve chosen. That’s something I’ve been worrying about, but I figured if it didn’t work I’d just have to get bigger tires haha. The T18 is a 4 speed right?

·
Registered
117 Posts
It’s good to hear more positive stuff about the gears I’ve chosen. That’s something I’ve been worrying about, but I figured if it didn’t work I’d just have to get bigger tires haha. The T18 is a 4 speed right?
Yeah t18 is the 4 speed manual with non synchro first and reverse first is granny/crawl gear and 4th is 1 to 1.

4.56 should be great for you having the overdrive, it'll really help the 302 get up and go, and you'll still have good rpms on the highway about 2200 rpm at 70mph

Reactions: OdinsBeard

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Yeah t18 is the 4 speed manual with non synchro first and reverse first is granny/crawl gear and 4th is 1 to 1.

4.56 should be great for you having the overdrive, it'll really help the 302 get up and go, and you'll still have good rpms on the highway about 2200 rpm at 70mph
Ah I see, I wasn’t sure but I think that’s the same trans that’s in my 77 f250. Although they had several similar transmissions for those dent sides. I think once I get the gears done it’ll be perfect for everything I do with it

41 - 56 of 56 Posts