290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have had the dewalt for about six years now and love it. It's the 18v, but not lithium. Not sure they had the lithium batteries then. I have had to buy a new set of new batteries last year, but the drill has been flawless.

My friend is on his second Milwaukee in a little less time and uses his less. Both of his have been lithium.

·
I ♥ TTB
4,300 Posts
Depends on what your going for. the Nicad dewalts are tried and true and replacment batteries will be much cheaper (read about half the cost)
However with that being said I bought the Bosch combo kit and have had great luck with it. It is the Li-ion and has been beat the heck out of for the last year and a half....
Lighter weight, great run-time, faster charge (compared to Nicad) The only downside will be the replacment batteries when they go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have mostly snappy stuff but two of my cordless sets are both Lithium Makitas. They generally stay at the shop and get used every day. The drill just got put through torture yesterday drilling through two broken shock mounts on a bus. Not bad considering they bits were 1" and had to drill down almost two inches. Did both holes on one battery.

·
Low Buck Bum
3,543 Posts
Why 18V? Unless you're doing some pretty heavy fabrication or building, a 12V will be more than sufficient, not to mention LIGHTER! I'd go with the 12V Milwaukee, it's tough for the money.

Popular Mechanics just did a 12V cordless drill comparison, and one of the best drills (most holes drilled and screws driven on a single charge) was the Chicago Electric (Harbor Freight) drill.

Those cordless impacts look like a gimmick to me, we had a Dewalt one in the plant I was working in, it didn't have any real torque. I ended up just using a regular hammer drill with a nut driver bit and the clutch adjusted down somewhat... just food for thought.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've got the Dewalt set, it's has done everything I've needed and surprised me on more one occasion. I removed the lug nuts from our 1953 Ford NAA, as best as dad could remember they hadn't been off since the mid 70s.

Dad owns his own construction company and also uses the same drill and impact, when he has a battery that won't take a charge he has the local batteries plus put new cell in it. Doing that is about half the cost of new battery packs and they install cells with a higher amp hour rating so it will run longer between charges.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a cordless 18v Makita drill/ impact driver set and it's great. I also have a cordless 18v Milwaukee impact gun (not impact driver) and it is fantastic. I prefer Milwaukee and Makita over Dewalt

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,232 Posts
I have the Milwaukee drill & out of all the drills I've owned (Ryobi, Porter Cable, Dewalt, & Makita) it's quite possibly the best & most powerful I've ever used. Milwaukee really out did themselves with that drill.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have both and they get abused badly. They stay in my van 24/7 through cold azz winters and I charge the batteries while theyre frozen and the charger sitting in snow. My original Dewalt 14.4 batteries just died last year. The drill had taken falls from the top of 40' ladders more than once an survived. Dewalt is owned by Black and Decker and now suffers quality wise in my opinion. The Milwaukee 12v lith-ion imapct has proven to be a stronger drill. The size is nice too. It'll drive 3 1/2" deck screws with ease although it's gearing makes it a little slower.
Cant go wrong with Makita either, but I cant vouch for thier batteries in the cold

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah my stepdad has a dewalt drill he got probably 13 years ago and the batteries have crapped out a few times but the drill still works great. They make some really durable tools

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I have the 18v Milwaukee and it is a great tool. The LED light is really and the drill is light but very powerful. The batteries last a long time and charge pretty quick too. I got mine on sale for $150 with 2 batteries.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a cordless 18v Makita drill/ impact driver set and it's great. I also have a cordless 18v Milwaukee impact gun (not impact driver) and it is fantastic. I prefer Milwaukee and Makita over Dewalt
100% agree. I only buy Milwaukee and Makita power tools. Dewalt used to be a great tool maker but the quality has gone to sh*t over the past 15 years. I have been using my Makita 7.5" circular saw for about 25 years and it still works perfect. I have had my Milwaukee sawzall for about 20 years and still works perfect as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts