Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are my driveline angle measurments. Can someone tell me if my front angle is bad. I have a 4'' lift
Here are the agles:
Front driveline - 6.6
Front Diff - 2.3
Transmission - 2.6
Transfercase - 7.3
Rear driveshaft - 18.5
Rear diff - 13.1
Frame - 0.5

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
are both the front pinion and front tcase output negative measurments? they shouldnt be based on the angle of the tranny. They shoould be exaclty opposite each other for a straight shaft 9non cv) so at -2.3 and +2.6, they are pretty close to perfect.

The rear angle, with a cv, doesnt matter as much since the CV dual ujoint gizmo cancels the vibes out.

EDIT - i just read that, and its a little confusing, but Im tired and cant make it any clearer. Basically on a store bought lift, you should be fine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not sure if there positive or negative angles. The guy that did the measurment was having a bad day. Im just tring to figure out what is causing my vibration.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have posted numerous times on this issue. The problem I have is a noise / vibration when in 4 wheel drive. It also occurs when the hubs are locked and not in 4 wheel drive and when you engage the 4 wheel drive whith the hubs unlocked. If you remove the front drive shaft and do all the above no noise / vibration.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
The yoke on the rear end should be 1* below the driveshaft angle for best results. I did a write up of what I did to correct the problem I had, here.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
The angle of the yoke on the front end should be equal, or rather 1* more than the angle of the transfer case output

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
ffmike said:
So with the numbers from above my angle is way off. Right ?
I would think so.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you think that a cv joint at the top of the shaft would correct my problem? Do the make a cv joint that can use my exsisting yoke at the t-case?

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
if your running normal u-joints (not cv joints) you can have a safe operating angle of 4 degrees per joint. if you have a lift, did you shim you axle? if they're not, you could use the to help your angles. you could run cv(double cardon) joints. that gives you 8 degrees of safe operating angles. and your angles on each end of the drivelines should be equal, in a perfect world.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
ffmike said:
Do you think that a cv joint at the top of the shaft would correct my problem? Do the make a cv joint that can use my exsisting yoke at the t-case?
Good question. But I believe if you install a double cardon joint that you have to point the front yoke at the transfer case, this is not good for the front end alignment geometry. I think if I were you I would change the angle of the yoke by only a couple of degrees. I looked at the numbers you have written down and I am not too clear on where the measurements were taken. Also the angle of your front dif, is that 2.3* up, or down.

Here are a few sights that will explain this better than I can and allow you to check these angles yourself.
this one,

this one,

and this one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The guy at the shop that took the mesurments was having a bad day. He didnt tell me if they were up or down and I didnt know to ask. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
when I put my lift in I also installed extended radius arms. Im wondering, with what I just read if I screwed up my pinion angle with the longer arms. What do you think? If I move the radius arm brackets back a little bit would that help with my problems?

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
if this is a store bought lift with all the correct pieces, then you didnt screw anything up. One of the ujoints may be going bad, or something else. I remember now offering this way back when.

If you have problems when in 4wd, pull the front shaft and take it for a spin in 4wd. if the problem is gone, then you can be certain its the shaft. if the problem is still there, its not the shaft, its wheel bearings, output shaft on tcase, or front pinion bearing, or hubs. This is really a pretty easy process to try and eliminate where its coming from. Its also possible that the shaft is out of alignment.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
check your u joints for play. if this only happens in four wheel drive then i believe your hubvs are donefer

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did exactly like you suggested. The problem only happens when the front drive shaft is in, take the saft out problem gone. I dont want to throw more $$ out the window try to eliminated certain components. I just what to know if a doulbe cardon , or cv joint would help correct my problem and do I have to change my yoke on the t- case?

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
How many miles do you have on your truck? Reason I ask is it may have nothing to do with angles at all. It's not uncommon for a driveshaft that was perfectly happy at one ride height to suddenly develop a bad vibe when a lift is installed. It didn't happen on mine when I went from stock height to 4", but I got a major bad vibe in the rear shaft when I bumped my lift from 4" to 6". I tried all sorts of different tricks to change my angles because I was convinced that the shaft was good before the lift, and I didn't think lifting it should have changed that. Finally I just pulled the shaft and took it to a driveshaft shop that looked at it for about two seconds and told me both the double cardan and the u-joint were shot. I had them rebuild it and it made all the difference in the world, the vibe is completely gone. Anyway, find a place in the phone book and take your shaft down there, it's worth letting them look at it. Heck, just let them tell you if it's bad, then go out and buy the u-joints and replace them yourself if you want to save a few bucks, the place I went to had free estimates.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts