Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I used the search but, what I'm looking for is the way to do it..???

Got a 96 FSB EB..when I take off I get a little clunk before moving and the reverse upon stopping...small clunk..I used the search and came up with needing to grease the two piece drive shaft (slip Yoke)

I do have Hanes Manual, but cannot find the correct procedure..

A) do I disconnect the back half, break the bands slide the boot off and pack her with grease, then slide the boot back and band it up..or
B) am I disconnecting the front half........or does it really matter at which end to start...
C) also must I mark the shaft so it goes back the same way...

OK I know I'm nuts...I"d like to be sure about what I'm doing..thanks for the help..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the info!

I also have a 96 Bronco, obviously. I will lube that two piece shaft.

I also have some questions about driveshafts and am looking to replace the whole driveshaft, joints and yokes. Too much slop in them after 170,000 miles.

I have been searching all of the internet trying to find out if it can be replaced with a one piece, aluminum or carbon fiber unit. I do a small amount of wheeling. I do a lot of daily driving, and some boat towing. I am a carbon fiber freak, and I would love to get the drive train losses out if I can go to a lighter driveshaft.

96ProjectBronco

·
Registered
267 Posts
grab the drive shaft near the u-joints and shake. If it has play, replace the u-joints. If you have play where the back half is sliding into the front half, you need to rebuild or replace the driveshaft. Your symptoms sound like u-joints to me. My 2 pennies.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Steve83 said:
You don't need to remove the d'shaft or disassemble it. Just jack the back of the FRAME up (let the axle sag), open ONE of the bands, & work as much grease into the splines as you can. A needle tip adapter might help. If the original band won't go back on, just use a cheap hose clamp or a black zip tie - it doesn't have to hold any pressure.
Seeing how all you have to do is remove 4 bolts with a 12mm 12 point socket/wrench to drop the rear half of the shaft, I would rather do it that way......just mark the shaft first so it goes back the same way. Then drop the rear section and remove the clamp on the dust boot. Then pull the two sections apart. Clean the old grease off, but dont try to clean off the blue coating it stays. Now grease it all up nice with some good quality grease and put everything back.
I do this like once every two or three oil changes, and never have any clunks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts