Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a guy tell me that in any Bronco you should never drive with the tailgate open. He told me about his buddy who hit a bump, the tail gate was slamming up and down (didn't say how hard), they heard breaking glass, the window shattered. Anyone heard of this? Guess anything is possible.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Wicked Pete said:
Had a guy tell me that in any Bronco you should never drive with the tailgate open. He told me about his buddy who hit a bump, the tail gate was slamming up and down (didn't say how hard), they heard breaking glass, the window shattered. Anyone heard of this? Guess anything is possible.
Possible? It sounds very probable. Why would you want to drive with it down?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Iv drove with mine down many times with somthing sticking out of the back.

Never had any problems with the glass.
Just be sure to secure the tire carier if you have one, you do not want that thing flooping around.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
i had to drive home with mine down a couple times- no issues but i drove good not like a fool. i can see how it could break if it bounced hard enough. Glass is not strong on the flat side only on the ends. i
reason mine was down....brining hoe a solid 44 and dana full floater 60 ----which both did not wok out so now looking for a dana 70 or 80 for the rear and a 60 for the font. the new hunt has started (sold both other axles already)...mike

·
Registered
302 Posts
Gacknar said:
For real!!!

Have we not gon over this before?

I CANT SPELL!!
Yeah cut the guy some slack. You've ready the story as to how he got Missy. Spelling aint his gift....flooping apparently is.;)

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
adrianspeeder said:

its this thing gack does with his tongue. basically it would cost you $200 in thailand, but he gives an FSB discount. worth every penny. :goodfinge

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Wicked Pete said:
I wouln't go 4X4ing with it down

but I once drove 250 miles from Toronto (center of the universe) to Ottawa with the gate down and the Bronco loaded to the t!t$ with my Sister's $h!t as she was moving towns.

I wasn't-a-fearin' cause I done what Gackner suggests and bungee corded the spare tire carrier tight against the gate so it wouldn't swing back and crack nuthin'.

If you hit any major bumps, all bets are off.

Sixlitre

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
i gotta question, if i can fit a golfcart in the back of my truck with the top off and seat out, would it crush my tailgate?

golfcarts are heavy

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
i gotta question, if i can fit a golfcart in the back of my truck with the top off and seat out, would it crush my tailgate?

golfcarts are heavy

Judging by the type of construction, it should be at least as strong as a standard pickup truck tailgate.

We have had three fat bastards totalling over 900 lbs standing on it with no problems.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
And as for the window, I never did buy that won't support it's own weight BS. I have had it out with no problem, and driven with the gate down lots (and our local roads are the epitome of shit).

Sure it's weaker when flat, but the engineers don't make a habit of building parts that explode when you look at them wrong (Pinto's are the exception ;) )

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Steve83 said:
Read your owner's manual to see if there's a weight rating on the t/g. I know I've seen it somewhere, but I don't remember what the # was.

If you plan on overloading it, make sure your cables aren't kinked, nicked, or rusty. 3 fat bastards sliding off the t/g can damage the trim panel against the bumper, and they might sue you. :histerica
As soon as one brings up that word, it's into reverse to finish the job. :goodfinge

·
Registered
67 Posts
Drove mine without the motor holding the window still, now for 2yrs.... jumped it, wheeled it, broke everything but the rear window,,, now that I said it, it will break tomorrow..lol

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Steve83 said:
Who was this guy? A landscaper? What qualified him to tell you (a Bronco owner) anything about a Bronco?

But it is possible for him to have broken the glass with the t/g down - not because of the truck going over a bump - but because the torque rod is loaded more when the t/g is down, so it's more likely to rip thru its retainer (which is known to rust & fail) and slap toward the t/g outer skin. And since the t/g can't normally be lowered except when the glass is fully retracted, the rod hits the glass, shattering it.

But if you do some searching here, you'll find that many FSBers have observed this phenomenon with the t/g up, and the truck parked. :shrug It happens sometimes. The bump was just a coincidence.
I was waiting for someone to come up with the right answer........with all the posts about the rear glass mysteriously busting for no reason, and all the talk about the torsion bar rusting loose........well I just thought someone would have figured out the reason.

·
Registered
101 Posts
one more thing to watch is if your up in the salt belts and your running top off a lot and water gets down in the gate it will get punchy at the bottom seam then when you load something real heavy(big rocks for landscape crap the girlfriend wanted) crunch!!!!! the bottom of the tailgate cracks right though the outer skin:shocked there is enough room though I will make a new bottom with angleiron and 3" strip of checker plate and check the tortion bar mount while its off

·
Registered
13,883 Posts
pvmntpndr said:
Drove mine without the motor holding the window still, now for 2yrs.... jumped it, wheeled it, broke everything but the rear window,,, now that I said it, it will break tomorrow..lol

that how my buddy chris does it...motor failed, he removed it and just opens and closes his window manually...hasnt broke yet

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
I was bumping around "4x4ing" like sixlitre says with a buddy and a pile of rocks we gathered for a fire pit on the tailgate. The cables snapped and the buddy and rocks fell off, but the glass was fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts