Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve done wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods twice, radius arm bushings, shocks and springs, steering box, and replaced rag joint with flaming river joint. My bronco started riding rough and the steering gets loose going over bumps and jerks a little and sometimes it gets tight turning around a bend in the road. Also it pops When taking off and coming to a stop and you can feel it in the floor. What is causing all this?

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,787 Posts
Ball joints most likely. Don't forget to change out your pivot bushings too. My truck feels like a new one since I have replaced all that you did plus the pivot arm bushings.

You must also replace the bushings on the leaf springs too. They can make the truck feel really sloppy too. You wouldn't think the rear suspension could make the front feel sloppy, but it can.

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
4,445 Posts
If you’re getting squirrelly over bumps like RR tracks, you may need new rear leaf spring shackle bushings. Also, the clunk you hear when stopping and taking off from a stop is probably the slip yoke on the rear driveshaft in need of lube.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You said you did radius arm bushings, but how were the brackets? Mine looked like this, and caused steering issues. It was cracked about 80% of the circumference.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You said you did radius arm bushings, but how were the brackets? Mine looked like this, and caused steering issues. It was cracked about 80% of the circumference.

My brackets were perfectly fine but I just ordered energy suspension leaf spring and shackle bushings and pivot bushings and I’m gonna grease the driveshaft joints tomorrow so hopefully that’ll get it straightened out. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Front shocks helped mine stay planted over bumps. About all I lack is axle pivot bushings. It’s still not where I want drivewise but I think some of that is related to my leveling kit sans no drop brackets.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Had a frame crack under the steering box on a 85 that would pop or clunk a lil on perfect corners, starting or stopping.

Alignment is a big deal. Caster can be within spec and still let the truck wander.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts