Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, new kid here, no Bronco but an F-150, Sixlitre says y'all are a cool bunch so figured I'd join :D The truck in question has been mine for a bit over a week now, traded my short stepper Chevy for her, she needs some work but I'm already taking care of that in the few hours after my classes and before midnight. Problems unresolved so far:

1. truck has a 4" lift, all went in good except for when the previous owner went to install the driveshaft it didn't reach. He says tis about 2" short, even at its max stretch of 2.5" or so. Question would be, what shaft will fit? Are F250 shafts longer than the F150 ones?

2. blinkers went out, fuse was blown so I replaced it, also put in a new flasher thingie (the electronic controller), no difference. There was a loose wire hanging in the harness off the steering column, but it's been there for a while so I don't think that's it, unless it shorted out to the cab sheetmetal. Turn signals don't work at all, bulbs don't even light up at all. Any suggestions? I'm real puzzled at that one, and I really hate driving with no directionals...

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Check the bulbs themselves? Are they all out? Light up solid on the cluster? Hazards work?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
some people say it has to do with the light switch itself (no matter how crazy that sounds) and my personal take is it is the ground. That was a PITA for me. Never had turnsignals consistently.

As far as d-shaft goes, you could probably snag one off of a highboy. You have a D44 and 9" i assume??

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
1. truck has a 4" lift, all went in good except for when the previous owner went to install the driveshaft it didn't reach. He says tis about 2" short, even at its max stretch of 2.5" or so. Question would be, what shaft will fit? Are F250 shafts longer than the F150 ones?
find a good drive shaft shop and have them make one for you or maybe even extend yours

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well today it acts even goofier - when I tap on the brake pedal the dashboard indicator for the right turn signal lights up! This is the only time the cluster lights up, with no brake applied both cluster lights are dead. Hazard flashers don't work either. Does that sound like a bad ground, or a bad main light switch? Where is that ground that may have gone bad? There's no hacked wiring in this truck so the harnesses are pretty much in their factory shape and locations I think.

About the driveshaft - I'll call the Bronco Graveyard folks and see if they got something for me, if not I'll have it cut and stretched at school and then just have it balanced at a shop.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
well you know sixlitre we might hold that against you.

have a dedicated driveline shop do the driveline work. chances are unless you know what your doing when you lenghten the shaft they will not be able to balance it.

as for the turn signals, does left or right work at all? ck bulbs, your going to have to dig in the dash and look for wires which have insulation open on them, some times the wiring can get pinched in the brake pedal and cause issues

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im guessing a short to power, which is like a short to ground but is where your voltage takes the path of least resistance and moves out of its dedicated circuit and into another one thus activating the alternative circuit crossed. Ex -> you hit your brake pedal and right turn signal in the cluster lights up. check the wiring from each to make sure the insulation hasnt rubbed off or been knicked and they arent crossed. funny story... my friend has an 88 camero and when he disconnects the defrost wire for the rear window and hits the brakes the defrost light comes on in his climate control panel up front. "crazy lights"

I would also check all of my grounds for any of the circuits you listed earlier, thats never a bad idea, esp since the problem could be a combination of many things. i.e. short to ground, short to power, knicked, scuffed, or frayed wires w/ improper resistances, the bulbs themselves, and/or fuses/switches. hope this helps. good luck :rockon

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, that don't sound like fun at all... I'll pull the dashboard apart one of these days and mess with it, I did have the main light switch out over the weekend and I may have messed something there... Where are the grounds for all those circuits, I looked under the dash today but couldn't see nothing grounded to anywhere?

As for the driveshaft - we build have an FSAE team and we build our cars in house, they are all custom stuff and our master-welder guy is a wizard with metals, so it should be pretty good. Just a matter of doing it really.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
hopefully you all have built shafts before, but if not just as a fyi there is alot more to it than just having a master welder burn some steel

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't but him and the other shop supervisor have built a few custom vehicles which required custom drive shafts. I may be stupid, but I ain't that stupid to try doing it on my own :D Thanks for the heads up tho. By the way, would you happen to know where to look for them silly grounds for the turn signal issue?

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
I've been making my own custom shafts for years
Aaannnd ,./I'vvv nbbsse neverr had d d a Viibrrration problem
(sorry my chair was vibrating)
it can be done but you do have to know what you are doing
better to have someone that knows do it for you! it will be cheaper in the end for you...Trust Us!!!

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I've been making my own custom shafts for years
Aaannnd ,./I'vvv nbbsse neverr had d d a Viibrrration problem
(sorry my chair was vibrating)
it can be done but you do have to know what you are doing
better to have someone that knows do it for you! it will be cheaper in the end for you...Trust Us!!!
you just can't feel the vibrations any more because your teeth all fell out. :toothless

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Victory, blinkers are fixed - tore the dash down after class, messed with the wires, found a wire that was plugged into a single wire 3-hole plug but had its other end just dangling there, pulled it out, messed with the wires, unplugged the flasher, plugged it back in, and now all is good. Well, except for the front right blinker, but that's a bulb issue I'm gonna address tomorrow. So now I only need to get the right driveshaft, and also find my annoying vacuum leak that keeps messing my slow idle, and all will be good.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Bronco Graveyard don't stock a driveline for a 4 inch lift.

If you insist on buying new (& why wouldn't you?) & you want something beefy contact highangle driveline.

I have only a 2 inch lift but both my drivelines needed extending. Drivetrain Industries in Denver did the work.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't want new shaft cause I can't afford it, school bills take priority over toys, so I'm trying to make do with whatever resources I have available. This truck ain't going to see any mud bogging or rock climbing or any of that, it ain't gonna go fast either - 4x4 will only be used for not getting stuck where 2wd will, that's about it. As for Bronco Graveyard - they are fairly close to me, I can always go look at what they got, I may just get lucky.

And while I'm at it, how much should I expect to pay for the current driveshaft to be extended if I give it to a shop? I really have no idea how those services go as far as pricing...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts