Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys its been a while since i been on here but i got a new question. i was out playing in the mud last night and i guess the back end of my truck bounced a little bit too much and the slip yoke part of the driveshaft came out and completely twisted the splines on the male end of the shaft. its got a 6" suspension lift but i havnt really heard of anybody else having length problems. but then again i could be mistaken. does anybody know where they make longer ones or trucks that i should look for in the junk yard like a short bed f150 rear shaft just for a little more length? or do those have the slip yoke in the tcase im not too sure

-sam

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
hey guys its been a while since i been on here but i got a new question. i was out playing in the mud last night and i guess the back end of my truck bounced a little bit too much and the slip yoke part of the driveshaft came out and completely twisted the splines on the male end of the shaft. its got a 6" suspension lift but i havnt really heard of anybody else having length problems. but then again i could be mistaken. does anybody know where they make longer ones or trucks that i should look for in the junk yard like a short bed f150 rear shaft just for a little more length? or do those have the slip yoke in the tcase im not too sure

-sam
I'd guess you don't have a double cardan rear shaft correct? In which case you need to lengthen your driveshaft, period.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i do have the double cardan i guess i called it the wrong thing im talking about the slip section on the shaft.

·
Registered
162 Posts
some guys need to have them lengthened and some dont, why im not exactly sure, but sounds to me like your one thats needs to have it lengthened, i recently installed a 6"rc on my 83 and i made sure the driveshaft was long enough by letting the rear axle hang at full droop with tires on took red tape and wrapped the splines right where the slip was, then disconnected the driveshaft and removed the slip, then i measured the total distance of the remaining spline engagemant which was right around 3.5 inches. id like a little more but its been holding together with no problems so far. any driveline shop can lengthen your driveshaft, although yours may require a replacement because its damaged. good luck

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
some guys need to have them lengthened and some dont, why im not exactly sure, but sounds to me like your one thats needs to have it lengthened, i recently installed a 6"rc on my 83 and i made sure the driveshaft was long enough by letting the rear axle hang at full droop with tires on took red tape and wrapped the splines right where the slip was, then disconnected the driveshaft and removed the slip, then i measured the total distance of the remaining spline engagemant which was right around 3.5 inches. id like a little more but its been holding together with no problems so far. any driveline shop can lengthen your driveshaft, although yours may require a replacement because its damaged. good luck
It's mainly due to my question above...some of the earlier trucks that were not equipped with the double cardon joint up top, they need to be lengthened. Why? Well, with that driveshaft you don't turn up the lower pinion, but rather you need the pinion output end in the same plane (parallel) to the output of transfer case otherwise you get bad vides. With the DC up top it's different as you want to point the pinion output up toward the Tcase so that the lower Ujoint runs at very little angle. This is a much better setup as the lower joint has much less angularity and stress and typically lasts much longer. The upward pointing also is good from a driveshaft length viewpoint as it's the most direct route and therefore you typically can get away with a 6" lift and not needing to lengthen the driveshaft.

·
Registered
861 Posts
pm ericautopart he helped me out with one, shipped it quick as well, had the same problem except the truck was on the highway

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts