Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was checkin under my old bronco and my rear driveshaft yoke had a fair amount of play in it connecting to the rear differential. i dont hear or feel anything going down the road. a fellow told me it was a bearing in there that could be causing this. said it could slice up my gears...how much would it cost to have this replaced since i have no tools or experience to take the rear end apart...ill call around tomorrow but no place is open right now and i just got paid. or should i just swap in a rebuilt 9". i dont plan on keeping the truck very long though.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
When you say there is play in it do you mean you can rotate it or can you grab the yoke and move it around?

·
Banned
11,466 Posts
8.8" pinion nuts are notorious for backing off. You can tighten it free in a few minutes, but you'll have to do it again in a few thousand miles. You can remove it, clean the threads, apply red threadlocker, & tighten it for a few cents & a few minutes of work, but you might still have bearing problems.

The correct fix is to remove the nut, yoke, pinion seal, outer pinion bearing, & crush sleeve. Install a new sleeve & seal, apply red threadlocker, & use a new nut to torque it & reset the preload in an hour or so for ~$20, and you should never have any more trouble from it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
by play i mean you can grab it and move it around some. how much torque am i losing cause of this bad boy ive been pinpointing hundreds of other problems thinking its causing my lack of power but i hope this is the final culprit. a shop quoted me 250-300 to replace it, but you say i can tighten it down myself? are there any manuals or online articles you know off the top of your head? ill try looking around here.

·
Registered
199 Posts
brock said:
by play i mean you can grab it and move it around some. how much torque am i losing cause of this bad boy ive been pinpointing hundreds of other problems thinking its causing my lack of power but i hope this is the final culprit. a shop quoted me 250-300 to replace it, but you say i can tighten it down myself? are there any manuals or online articles you know off the top of your head? ill try looking around here.
Like Steve83 said, you could just put some thread lock compound on it and tighten it up. There have been some threads about it. Press search and type in "pinion nut" It works for some and not for others. The problem is that the nut is designed to be torqued only one time when the pinion pre load is set. Once it loosens up its no good anymore. The other problem is that if the pinion bearing has been loose for a while then there is no telling how much damage it caused. The pinion and ring gear may be screwed up. If you want to check it out yourself you should pop the diff cover and take a look. Check for metal shavings, broken teeth, ect. If everything looks good you could tighten up the nut and rotate the yoke by hand and make sure the teath are meshing well with no binding. If everything still looks good, button it back up, fill it with fluid and take it for a ride. If you hear any howling or any other unusual noises, you need a rebuild. However, I really dont think a loose pinion nut could be responsible for power loss.

·
Banned
11,466 Posts
brock said:
are there any manuals or online articles...
Yes, but since my HD crashed several times, I don't have the link. But since I've posted it several times, you'll find it by searching.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts