Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My double cardan joint on the rear driveshaft is shot.
I was wondering if it would be cheaper and easier to install a whole new driveshaft than replace the worn out joint.
If a new driveshaft is the best option, would a standard size one fit my truck with 6'' suspension and 3'' body lift?
also how would I measure if it isn't

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Cheaper? No. Easier? Yes.

About the cheapest NEW driveshaft with quality parts that I've seen so far is from JBG for 260 before shipping, and you could certainly replace the DC for less.

There's several threads on rebuilding the DC.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
*side note, how does one know if the DC is toast? im wondering myself.

(sorry if thread jack)

btw, im pretty sure that its cheaper to redo the DC than shaft swap

but if you end up replacing,there was a thread receantly on how to meause,driveshaft thread

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,751 Posts
yes a regular one will work with your 6 inch lift, BL doesnt matter. If you are getting a new shaft anyways though, i would get an extended one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know because a mechanic said that the problem is in the dc joint, and I figure that it would be cheaper to replace the driveshaft myself than pay someone else to fix the dc for me
If it wasn't my only truck, then I'd be fine taking the time to fix the dc myself

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
I know because a mechanic said that the problem is in the dc joint, and I figure that it would be cheaper to replace the driveshaft myself than pay someone else to fix the dc for me
If it wasn't my only truck, then I'd be fine taking the time to fix the dc myself
Have you taken a look at the threads regarding replacing the DC? It's not a very difficult task... you could probably get it done in just a few hours with even minimal tools.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is it very hard?
Is there a risk that I could screw anything up?
The mechanic said that he wouldn't reccomend doing that myself, he said that a driveshaft would be easy to replace, but if I decided to just do the joints he told me to take it somewhere else.
So he's not just looking for the cash.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
is it very hard?
The mechanic said that he wouldn't reccomend doing that myself, he said that a driveshaft would be easy to replace, but if I decided to just do the joints he told me to take it somewhere else.
Check out one of the threads and you'll see how hard it is. ;)

No business savvy mechanic is going to recommend you do anything yourself.

Buy a Haynes too.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,751 Posts
what motor/ year do you have? is your odometer digital or does it have the wheels?

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
how do I know if I have E4OD or AOD
By filling out your bronco information so that we know what your truck is.

92 with 351W digital odometer
The transmission is rebuilt
You would have an E4OD.

But that doesn't matter unless you're buying a new driveshaft... have fun wasting 200 bucks. :doh0715:

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
I just replaced my H-yoke and centering ball thingie...I bought the yoke off of rockauto.com after going to 5 differnt places local and trying to explain the construction and workings of a Bronco driveshaft...rock auto is definately the cheapest way to go...

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
is it very hard?
Hard?..takes me less thant half an hour to completely rebuild a double-cardan.

Your 'mechanic' wouldn't consider rebuildng it??..He's no mechanic then.

The ONLY thing that makes a DC rebuild impossible to do on a bench is if the centering pin is worn out. The DC driveshaft end with the centering pin can be replaced by a competent shop, just as the slip-spline stub can be on the other end..but that moves it out of 'backyard repair' category. Everything else is replaceable with hand tools and a bench vise and is relatively cheap..two u-joints and the centering yoke is what?..50 bucks for the good quality parts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hard?..takes me less thant half an hour to completely rebuild a double-cardan.

Your 'mechanic' wouldn't consider rebuildng it??..He's no mechanic then.

The ONLY thing that makes a DC rebuild impossible to do on a bench is if the centering pin is worn out. The DC driveshaft end with the centering pin can be replaced by a competent shop, just as the slip-spline stub can be on the other end..but that moves it out of 'backyard repair' category. Everything else is replaceable with hand tools and a bench vise and is relatively cheap..two u-joints and the centering yoke is what?..50 bucks for the good quality parts?
He said something about a centering pin.
He also said that he might be able to work on it, but he reccomended a place in town that specializes in driveshafts

1 - 20 of 22 Posts