Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a very faint squeak or squeal coming from underneath the bronco. Thinking it may be rear brakes, i jacked it up put in neutral and ran the rear tires back and forth. It seems the little squeak is either coming from the double cardan joint.

I searched and didnt find a cost associated with this. Whats one of these driveshafts cost for a rebuild and balance?

just ballpark?

Factory d-shaft with 130k+ miles on it.

:D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just got quotes on mine.

Checkers wanted around $230 for a rebuilt and a drive shaft shop in the area wanted the same to rebuild mine.. That was too much for me, plus I really wanted to do it myself.

$40 for the center bearing
$20 per spicer joint X 3 = $60

Cost me about $100. If you want to paint the shaft that is a couple more dollars and if you don't have grease already that is a few more.

Still in two parts.

Tim

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
call Arizona Driveline, they do good work and are in your neck of the woods I think. I called them about my spare shaft and they want 145 for complete rebuild, 3 new joints, balancing and rebuild the cv.

there is also another place that I heard was good but I cant recall who it was. I will talk to my buddy and find out.

fyi just the parts to rebuild the shaft is 120 bucks my cost at ford.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
call Arizona Driveline, they do good work and are in your neck of the woods I think. I called them about my spare shaft and they want 145 for complete rebuild, 3 new joints, balancing and rebuild the cv.
Yeah, i have thought about doing tonight. But, id kinda like it to be balanced after im done beating on it.

On the same note, i am looking at having the driveshaft on the excursion worked on too. Since its non servicable it has to be taken apart and packed with grease, then re-assembled and balanced. My understanding is that "clunk" the diesel superduties and excursions can produce is the driveshaft. THe clunk can be heard on acceleration and be intermittent.

So, yeah i can have them tap me in a zirx fitting and balance the scursions shaft and rebuild and balance to broncos too.

ill update with what i find out later. Depending on the cost and time it will take them, i may end up doing this myself and then just have it balanced.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You shouldn't need to balance it unless you've knocked one of the weights off of it. It doesn't hurt to have it checked, but I've had shafts shortened before and not thrown off the balance.

Rebuilding the shafts isn't hard and doesn't take more than a few hours. The only trick to it is figuring out what order the caps go back in on the CV so that it doesn't bind. It helps to have a helper and a vise for putting it back together.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update,

I bought all the stuff to rebuild my driveshaft. Dropped the t-case side first and found out my little "squeal" is coming from the T-case.

im doing the driveshaft anyway tonight, but i think my T-case has issues. Anyone else have that faint squeal?

·
Registered
549 Posts
sorry to revive and old thread but....

im going to rebuild the rear end of my driveshaft

this is why...

the question is shoud i just do just the rear or replace all of the u-joints and the "companion flange"?!

what would you reccomend?! what u-joints to use?! where to get them from?!

sorry im a n00b to driveshaft driven cars, Ive been messing around too much with Hondas.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
You're gonna need a new flange, that's for sure. :rofl:

Motorcraft for U-joints, a hair on the pricey side, but they're sealed and they last.

But ummm... my question is, WOW, what the **** happened that it blew the flange out like that? They look dry, unless you wiped them off, but did that axle lock up or something?? :shocked

·
Registered
549 Posts
i've had the bronco for a bit and i took it to baja this weekend and the flange snapped on the way home like 3 miles down from my house.

just not keeping up with the maintenance is my guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts