Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the threads and they all point to bad universal or u joint. It is a 95 with no u joints it is just universals held on with pillar blocks. I put the truck in neutral and twisted the drive shaft each way. There was no play in the drive shaft, but the was some play where the axle (pumpkin) meets the drive shaft. Is there supposed to be play in that spot? The transmission works flawlessly otherwise. The only problem is when i put it into reverse it slams into gear.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
I have read the threads and they all point to bad universal or u joint. It is a 95 with no u joints it is just universals held on with pillar blocks. I put the truck in neutral and twisted the drive shaft each way. There was no play in the drive shaft, but the was some play where the axle (pumpkin) meets the drive shaft. Is there supposed to be play in that spot? The transmission works flawlessly otherwise. The only problem is when i put it into reverse it slams into gear.
You're confusing your terms. A u-joint is short for universal joint.

You have excessive backlash in your rear diff- normal wear for high mileage axles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about not being clear. The universals seem to have no play in them. What I was calling the u joints were the pillar blocs that were holding the universals in place. The pillar blocks seem to be fine also. What I did notice was that when i put the truck into neutral that there seems to be some play where the drive shaft goes into the differential. I was asking if this could be the reason it slams into reverse. How much play should there be? If any. I will grease the drive shaft where is slides. I have seen on here that it sometimes will help that.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
The play is caused by backlash in the gears and axle splines. It's normal in high mileage axles. I'd say anything more than 1/8 turn of the pinion is excessive.

·
Not Frilly.
951 Posts
mine does the same thing, u-joints are good trannys good. the diff has 294,000 miles on it soooooo your rear gears problably just need some refreshing. at least thats how mine is

·
Registered
41 Posts
my 79 also does the same thing but its because of gear wear in the rear end, i have seen aalot of fords do what you are describing, and from what ive seen its in the trans, sometimes a good flush on the trans will help maby try some additives but other than that i havent seen that much things to help em, but on the other hand ive never seen transmission fail because of this problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts