Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing a longer driveshaft for the 79 since the lift.. I found one out of a 1978 that is the right length. But the ujoints are not the same... The shaft I got had no joints in it, I'm thinking that changing the pinion yokes would be the simplest way to make all this work. What pinion yokes do I need??? Anyone have a clue???

I talked to a guy at the driveshaft shop... they could not tell me(probably would not) said to have it towed in and they could probably fix it for under 600... I basicly said bite me.. I'm pretty sure I can fix this myself if I can just find out what yokes to get.... Thanks in advance---Fog

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Did you ask the drive line shop what they would charge to cut the ends off both driveshats and put the old ones on your new shaft? I had a whole drive shaft made with a new tube and using the ends from my damaged shaft and it was reasonabley priced.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
shafts

hey bud,

when i did my lift i needed the rear drive shaft lengthened a few inches.
i had a local shop cut my driveshaft and had it retubed, balanced and painted for about 200. while i was at it, i had some greasble joints put in for another 40.
my new driveshaft is killer.
maybe not as cool as one of the special hardcore shafts from high angle driveline, but i gotrdone in a day and a half and spent very little, all things considered.

check it out.

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea they want 300 a shaft to swap everything over... They are the only game in town, so they charge what they want. Plus I'm close to broke, so DIY is my only option-----Fog

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
New weld yokes are only about $25 from Rockford. We build drive shafts, including mobile repair and build, and I can tell you it is much easier to remove the old end and install a new end than it is to remove a used end to re-use it...especially without access to a lathe. You don't really want to step down from 1330 joints to the '78 1310 size anyway..do you?

http://www.rockforddriveline.com/

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
Front drive shafts out of f250 f350 e40ds d60 are long enough its the right ujoint need to have them cut and balanced.:thumbup

·
Registered
173 Posts
Why can't you just get a combo u-joint? I'm assuming they're available, and if they are hell, it might not be the strongest way to go but definatly the cheapest to get you back on the road.

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried the combo joint.... Had the napa guys scratching thier heads on that one.... Could'nt find the right joint in their spicer or brute force catalog... I was talking about changing the pinion yoke to match the drive shaft... I know the 1310's are weaker in theroy but I gotta get this thing back on the road soon...I figured pulling the pinion yoke would get me running and I could swap up to 1350's later when cash allows..... Fog

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
Foghorn said:
I basicly said bite me...
---Fog

What??? you didn't tell them to "gargle your nuts" ????????? :shocked :histerica :popc1: :thumbup :twotu: :chili: :beer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts