Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and didn't find a good answer....

If I put a 6" lift (probably skyjacker) on my 83, with a 351w, and c-6, will I have to get longer driveshafts or will my current ones work?

Thanks, and if someone knows of a post I missed just link it and I will read it....Thanks again.

G

·
My 1990 front with 6 inch springs did not need to be lengthened. The rear needed to be and it was obvious. There was only about an inch of overlap in the slip yoke. Look at it. When the rear suspension drops the shaft lengthens via the slip yoke. Jack-up the frame, suspension droops and see what you got. Mine would almost pop out at full travel. I do have custom springs that placed the axel back a little over an inch.

New lift? Make sure the pinion is in line with the driveline or you will loose that drive shaft. Little wedges under the springs to correct things.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am just trying to find out what additional things I will need when I do get a lift. I have decided I will not mess with the 4" and just go with the 6".

I don't know what a slip yoke is? Is that the position at which the driveshaft connects up in the front? Is there any book I could get about basic 4x4 setup so that I could learn what all the basic parts where and there function? I really have very, very limited and little knowledge on cars/trucks so far, I am just learning everything as it happens. Thanks for the help...

G

·
Purchase a Haynes manual which is specific to the Bronco.

Yes, There is a yoke at each end of the driveshaft. The slip yoke is in the middle closer to the axel. It should have a rubber boot over it. The rear part of the driveline slides into the front part. You might search here for 6" lifts and see what others say about their drivelines.

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
This has definately been discussed before. As a matter of fact I think I post the question a long time ago. Everyone said that with the 6" lift the driveshafts didn't need to be rebuilt (lengthened). If you go with the 8" yes you will need them lengthened. I would say blown that by you using custom springs and moving your axle back more than an 1" is the reason for you having to have the rear rebuilt.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I should have searched for lifts, instead of driveshafts.

Okay, is a Haynes book basically the same as a Chilton? I got a Chilton when I bought the bronco.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
Either the Haynes or the Chilton manuals are good reading and very helpful. With my 84 Bronco and a 6"lift, I did not need to lengthen the driveshafts. I did opt for the extended radius arms and lifted rear spring packs if that makes any difference. You can put your Bronc on a lift and get the suspension at full drop to see if you're O.K., too.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
I've got the 8 inch skyjacker with springs instead of blocks and used my stock shafts with no probs so far (knock on wood) of course the trails down here are a lil different than some of ya'lls so you may need 'em...but if you go with skyjacker and new leafs you should be ok for a DD/ slight wheelin' type rig..:shrug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts