Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a shudder in the drivetrain when i am cruising and then accelerate or let off the gas. It dosent happen all the time. Just every so often. Is it the OD. or mabye a U-joint? Feels like it might be from the rear end.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like the drive shaft is off balance...same thing happened to my '92 for a few days untill it finally came apart at the cv head, and banged up the muffler and undercarriage. Check that first.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Check your ujoints. I'll bet there bad. How many miles on them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Or the pinion nut, thats a common one too.

·
Registered
297 Posts
kaised said:
Or the pinion nut, thats a common one too.
From what I was just told last week from my gear guy, Ford always used fine thread on the pinion and they rairly get loose. I too have heard many times that they do but he's talking with 20 + years experience and has never seen one. Now a Chebby on the other hand.

It's worth checking though.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ok, tell him to come here and look at the 88 Bronco in my garage if he wants to see a loose pinion flange on a Ford. It seems like it is mostly the 4 wheel drive vehicles that have that problem, so maybe he does not see many of those?

·
Registered
297 Posts
:brownbag

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thats Funny, he must have not seen to many Broncos in 20+ years. Mine had 168,000 miles when i bought it and it is an 86 and i have to tighten my pinion nut about a full turn and a bit. Seems like alot but that was a few months ago and so far so good. :toothless

·
Registered
165 Posts
Same deal with my 1996. I only have about 70K miles and I got at least a full turn of tightening. The flange was loose enough to rattle it by hand. Definitly worth checking, it only takes a couple mins.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Got the same problem vinman, mine does it when you go from 3-4 or 4-3 gear. Seems worse under load, towing, etc. Wondering if it may be something with the lockup. Drivetrain is all original still, 140 000km

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
RobertF said:
Where is this pinion nut? Sounds like something I should check...
Get under your truck, look at the rear driveshaft, follow it all the way down to the rear axle. You will see a large nut inside the union of the driveshaft to the rear axle flange. that be the pinion nut.

·
tired of your sh!t
2,882 Posts
94bronco said:
From what I was just told last week from my gear guy, Ford always used fine thread on the pinion and they rairly get loose. I too have heard many times that they do but he's talking with 20 + years experience and has never seen one. Now a Chebby on the other hand.

It's worth checking though.
mine did it too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
replace both u-joints while you have the driveshaft out.... beats taking it back out later :thumbup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts