Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 Bronco with a junk 302 and E4OD trans. Got it for free from a friend just recently. I am in the process of doing a SAS and 9inch swap in rear. I am doing the rear axle because it has 4.10 gears and a Detroit Locker. I will also be replacing the blown motor witha stroked 351W( Probable to 393). I also have a NP205 I am going to swap.

I am trying to decide if I should try and stay EFI or not. Ive read other threads and know that you can swap the speed density to MAF pretty easily for the modified 351W. My question for everyone is that I will lose the VSS from the 8.8. Is this a major problem for the EFI? I can make the speedo work with the NP205 to be street legal, but not for the computer. I am not worried about the ABS.

I also would like to know if you guys would stay EFI or go
393W(carbed)/C6/NP205? Just wondering what you guys think?
 

·
The Anti Yam!
Joined
·
22,680 Posts
va92bronco said:
I also would like to know if you guys would stay EFI or go
393W(carbed)/C6/NP205? Just wondering what you guys think?
I would stay EFI.


va92bronco said:
I can make the speedo work with the NP205 to be street legal, but not for the computer
How can you make the PSOM work without a tone ring?

I think they have tone ring kits for 9" axles.

Edit--------------
Do a search.
I did and 20 seconds later found this thread.
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18260&highlight=tone+ring

And there are lots more where that came from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To make the speedo work I would just switch the instrument cluster and run a mechanical line. Get a j/y cluster from a earlier model bronco. Or get a a/m speedo.
 

·
aka: kemicalburns
Joined
·
7,830 Posts
i would not use the e4od , that would make everything easier including the mass air swap.
 

·
Crusher Mike
Joined
·
6,115 Posts
No to High jack a thread but I have never gotten a solid answer on the VSS and yes I did read the posted thread on it, it was added to the bronco in 87 correct? or is that the abs sensor in the rear of my 91 ? Like I said Ive heard a couple of things like it had an effect on the shifting and such starting 92
is this correct?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
17,887 Posts
The VSS is on the transmission (2WD) or t-case (4WD), and it puts out 6 pulses per rev. It's driven by plastic gears. It wasn't used on '92-96 trucks.


The ABS sensor is on the rear diff & puts out 108 pulses per tire rev. It reads directly off a tone ring pressed onto the diff case behind the ring gear. It was used on '87-up.
.
 

·
The Anti Yam!
Joined
·
22,680 Posts
Steve83 said:
The early VSS is on the transmission (2WD) or t-case (4WD), and it puts out 6 pulses per rev. It's driven by plastic gears. It wasn't used on '92-96 trucks.

The ABS sensor is on the rear diff & puts out 108 pulses per tire rev. It reads directly off a tone ring pressed onto the diff case behind the ring gear. It was used on '87-91, in 92-96 this also took on the role of the VSS.
Fixed that for ya. :toothless
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gacknar is right. VSS on diff is used for ABS,computer speed sensor and speedo after 1992
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top