Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figure I will go ahead and start a build thread for my 94 so I can show what I am doing and get some advice. It is a 351w auto still almost entirely factory. I pulled the engine a couple years ago for a reseal but nothing more than a six liter tune up in terms of mods.

My end goal is a semi-prerunner build. I love riding on the beach and rutted fire roads, but still need some DD responsibilities. Looking for fiberglass, 35's, 4" lift and eventually another full on rebuild on the engine. Basic C&T with extended rad arms. Will be building taller coil buckets to offset the 5.5 deaver coil back down to a 4" final lift.

Plan was to go for suspension first, but a deal came along I couldnt pass up. Traded a firearm I rarely use for a nearly full set of brand new Autofab fiberglass, incl fenders, quarters and hood. Also got the autofab prerunner bumper kit, a core support and a full dana 44 from a 79 in the deal. Bunch of other loose items in with it. Guy had bought it all to fix up a bronco with his son but it never happened. Guess I will be figuring it all out.

Will take some pics once I get it all unboxed. Body is rusted pretty bad and needs the love. Will be selling the d44 asap and probably starting with the quarters for the body work. Also very close to finishing my rear bumper with tire carrier so I will get some pics up for that too.

Will need to decide how to do the fenders. Dont have a bender or notcher, but I think tube framing is probably the better end solution vs skinning. Any thoughts are appreciated.

This will take a while, but I am looking forward to the process.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So finally got a full day to work on the Bronco yesterday. Been traveling so much for work that I hadnt had any time since I decided to start thread.

Spent the time on the rear bumper. Got it all mounted up and realized it was too high and too tight in. Tailgate smashed into it. Spent an extra 3 hours cutting off mounts and remaking them. Turned out well. Build shots to the screw up will get finished shots today.

Fixed height:

Need to shorten the tire carrier. Kinda winged the height and it is just too high. Easy enough fix.

Found a ton of rust under there. Gonna need to do rear hangers and shackles before too long. Gotta decide if I want to do a shackle flip in the rear or new deavers. Leaning toward the deavers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I have a few things to catch up on. Was slow moving, then I found a leaking head gasket and it got moving pretty quickly after that.

As it sat before any tear down. Work is slow so my boss allowed me to keep it in the shop. Had recently added the Autofab prerunner bumper and primed it but not painted yet.

Tearing down front end. No major surprises. Had a heck of a time with the exhaust manifolds. Couldn't get the bolts from the y pipe to break at all. Ended up cutting up the y pipe to get it out.

Torn down to the firewall. Started tearing down the engine. Nothing too unusual there.

More in next post.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next up was to replace the coil buckets. The OEM buckets were rusted badly. Also, the plan is to go with the 5.5" front lift springs but I only want 4" up front. I fabricated coil buckets that are an inch taller than OEM planning for a little settling on the 5.5" springs. Also changed from a post type shock mount to a eye type.

Cleaned up and painted the frame some while i was in there.

Next was to cut off the quarters to make way for the fiberglass I have sitting around. Found a lot of rust that I will need to fix.

Glass mocked up but not installed

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Painting up the engine during the reseal. Cylinders, bearings, etc all looked great. Just needed new gaskets. New Ford Gray was the color I chose.

Pulled the truck back out of my welding booth and dropped the engine back in this morning.

New JBA SS headers in. Bassanni Y pipe going in next.

Whole truck will be getting hit with flat black while I patch up rust and save up for a decent paint job in the end.

Picked up a set of tires for when it is back together. Guy was dumping a brand new, unmounted set of 5 35x12.50R15 BFG A/Ts for 750. Jumped on that.

Now I am just putting stuff back together and mounting the new fiberglass body parts. Hopefully done and rolling within 2 weeks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nice job. quarter panels are a pain. But fixing it all is great, at least you know its good. Hit that with POR15 after you get rid of all the rust.
Thanks. Gotta figure out how to get the tire carrier bracket out of the way so I can mount the glass.

Been thinking about some POR. Budget is drying up pretty quickly though. May have to hit it up again later. Have a couple cans of rust converter for it for now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This is looking like a cool project. Great job. I've noticed a couple things in the pictures you haven't mentioned like the red cap on your steering box and I was most curious about your frame. It went from rusty to black. What did you use and what was the prep method? This is something I'd like to tackle soon without removing the body so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and again, Great Job so far. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Definitely going to paint the front bumper. Flat balck with matte clear. I find i like the look of that combination a lot. It is what I did on the frame.

Love the look of the stainless. Dont have any pics with the bassanni y pipe but it is better than i hoped.

Frame was just hours with a wire brush and shop vac. Knocked off the loose stuff and piles of grease. Then rust converter on the surface rust, primer, flat black, then matte clear.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the original fenders mounted to help square up the body and new core support then pulled the passenger fender to start the fiberglass subframe install.

Also got the sag conversion in to go along with the new redhead.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Only got a few hours in today but got a good bit done. Radiator, condensor, trans cooler and a few other bits in. Parts shelf is starting to look a little bare.

What is the general concensus on royal purple ATF? Got 20 quarts and a billet tranny pan in the trade where I got the fiberglass body. Couple other tranny parts I am not familiar with.

What fluid should I run for the power steering? Redhead was tested with a red fluid so I assume atf is what they were using.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts