Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I went to put on my drop arm today and there is a problem. The new one is about 45* off of what the flat one is. I when I tried to put it on, it is H A R D to get on. I have another box in the garage and the arms just slide on that one. But the drop one will not work n the box that is on my ride.

Anyone know what the deal is with the ofset and such?

SWS

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
When I put mine on the drop arm wasnt flat like the original one. Its supposed to be that way. As far as it not sliding on easily, can you get it started and use the bolt to press it in place as you tighten the bolt? Or if you use a torch heat up the new arm to expand the metal and maybe it will slide on easier.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it isn't flat, the problem is that the keys are like 1/4 turn off of where they are on the flat one. I will not heat it up as it should not be heated unless you are going to support it.

SWS

·
Registered
527 Posts
These boxes should only have a key way in the spline every 90 degrees, so if your pitman arm is off by 25 degrees, and it does not fit the taper, then chances are that you ended up with a pitman arm for a different application.

Case in point, Super duty owners have this same problem if they try to interchange steering boxes or pitman arms from the odd ball 99 truck to the later ones.
These early trucks had splines that were 45 degrees off.
That sounds like a similar problem.
Any way you can verify the part number with the manufacturer to see if this is your situation?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts