Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am right smack in the middle of my sas parts gathering. I am currently running a 4" rancho lift Kit. With a drop pitman arm. I was wondering what you all are running for pitman arms? I should have 7-8" of lift with my new set up. 4" 78-79 coils, stock TTB buckets, 7* bushing. ECT. With a 4" spring pack and a shackle flip out back. What are your thoughts? Will I be okay with my 4-6 inch drop pitman arm? or does someone make a longer one that I am overlooking? let me know.

Thanks
Land

·
Erik
1,850 Posts
When I'm done with my sas I'll be right around 8 lift. I had my pitman arm from my 8 inch ttb lift and it wasn't even close to working with my sas. I am now going with a stock pitman arm. It all depends on your angles as you have to get the track bar and steering to line up. I say wait til you're ready for steering. That way you don't go out and buy something you don't need....

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Id say your more than likely going to end up with a stock pitman arm.

Im running 7-8" of lift with my SAS and using a stock pitman arm and its working great.

Looking at this picture

The draglink is grey and the track bar is black. Notice they are the same angle and length which hopefully you already know about.

So here is the issue. If you have a drop pitman arm the drag link will be at less of an angle (closer to being parallel with the ground). This means your track bar has to be at less of an angle to match. To acheive that you have to move the track bar bracket away from the frame (towards the ground), or away from the axle (towards the engine) or a little of both. This is undesirable because you add more leverage to your bracket by making it longer, and farther away from that which it is mounted to.

So ideally your track bar is as close the frame and axle as possible, making your mounts as short as possible. The best way to acheive this in your case will more than likely be to use a stock pitman arm.

Also from the formula you've given, 4" springs, stock buckets, etc, I dont see 7-8" of lift.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also from the formula you've given, 4" springs, stock buckets, etc, I dont see 7-8" of lift.[/QUOTE]

Thanks that pic helps a bunch

From what I have been told. You will gain an extra 1.5"-2" by using 78-79 springs over whatever lift they are rated for. IE 4" gives you 5.5"-6". And since the stock ttb buckets are about 1.5"-2" shorter than 78-79 buckets that will give me roughly 7-8" of lift up front.

Also When you refer to stck pitman arm do you mean 78-79 stock or 80-86 stock? I ask cause I have a stock 78-79 pitman arm but my 89 pitman arm had to be cut off the gear box to get it off with the puller.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
78-9 pitman arms are different. You'll want to use a stock 80-96 arm.
Thanks. Also there is probably no need for me to retain the lifted pitman arm then is there? I am asking cause I have my ttb lift sold and am thinking if I don't need it then I will through it in for the guy. Am I correct in thinking that?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SOUNDS GOOD THE GUY KEEPS GETTING A BETTER AND BETTER DEAL.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
From what I have been told. You will gain an extra 1.5"-2" by using 78-79 springs over whatever lift they are rated for. IE 4" gives you 5.5"-6". And since the stock ttb buckets are about 1.5"-2" shorter than 78-79 buckets that will give me roughly 7-8" of lift up front.
I'm pretty sure you have that backwards. TTB springs have higher spring rates than 78/9 coils, so a TTB coil on a solid axle should give extra ride height. A 78/9 coil on a solid axle should give whatever lift it's rated for.

Justin

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
78-9 pitman arms are different. You'll want to use a stock 80-96 arm.
:stupid

I'm pretty sure you have that backwards. TTB springs have higher spring rates than 78/9 coils, so a TTB coil on a solid axle should give extra ride height. A 78/9 coil on a solid axle should give whatever lift it's rated for.

Justin
Hes using 78/79 coils not TTB coils.

I dont know about the height difference between a TTB bucket and a 78/79 bucket, so I cant help you a whole lot in figuring out your final lift height. Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:stupid

Hes using 78/79 coils not TTB coils.

I dont know about the height difference between a TTB bucket and a 78/79 bucket, so I cant help you a whole lot in figuring out your final lift height. Good luck with the project!
thanks

·
Southeast Utah Native
919 Posts
Your 78-79 coils will take some doing to get them to work with TTB coil buckets. I did the opposite and used my exsisting TTB springs with TTB buckets on a 79 axle and had to modify the bottom of the springs to work. I could've done whatever I wanted as I had all the parts from the 79 F-150 I got the axle from. I still have the 4" of lift I originally had, which is all I wanted anyway.

As for the original question I am using a dropped Pitman arm. I think it will depend on your particular situation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts