Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, my bronco is goin to be sittin in my garage for the next idk how many months, cant afford to retag it and insurance. anywho, the front pump seal is leaking, and i figure it would be a good time to fix it. problem is, ive never dropped a tranny, and i would be doin this in my garage. i figure if i unbolt the driveshafts, drain the pan and let it drain for a couple days to see if anymore comes out. then i unbolt it from the block right, then i could lower it with a floor jack? then when takin out the tourque converter, would it just slide off the input shaft? and when i put the touque converter back on, would it have to be in the same spot? would i also have to take off the t-case and the starter? or should i even attepmt this not knowing what im reallyl doin? any help is greatly appreciated, and if ur in southwest kansas...i could use some help lol, thanks in advance!

·
Bad MoFo
591 Posts
Since I just did this on Sat I will tell you how I did it.(might not be the right way but it worked) I took out the drive shafts and took off the skid plate first. Then I unpluged everything from the tranny and trans case. Take the little screw out on the speedo cable and it will slip right out. then unblot the trans case from the tranny. Its not too heavy you can slide it off and set it down with min help. Next I put a floor jack with a piece of 2x4 up to the tranny just to the front of the "hump" that hangs down. (2x4 to keep the jack from denting the pan) Now unbolt the starter (disconnect battery first). Next I took the cover off of the front of the tranny that covers the tq converter. Then unbolt the tq converter. Then the bellhousing. Pull the dipstick from tranny. After that I just took out the cross member for the tranny and slid it back off. Helps if you put the jack with the handle to the rear of the BKO. Hope that helps.

·
Bad MoFo
591 Posts
Oh yeah I just let the tq converter come out with the tranny. Just don't let it fall out. As far as draining it, I just let the tranny drain for a few hours. There was not too much of a mess.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The only thing I would do different is drain the TC first, if it tips over or off your floor jack you could have a mess. Mine fell off the jack as I was lowering it and I can't remember if the lube came out the input or the speedo cable hole, but I had a big mess.

I see no reason to drain the C6 unless you need to change the fluid anyway.

Look how deep the torque converter is in the trans before you pull it off, If I remember correctly there are three things to engage when it goes back on.

·
Bad MoFo
591 Posts
Yeah make sure the tq converter is fully seated. If not when you tighten the bell housing back up you can damage the pump.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aight guys thanks for all the tips! looks like i need to find someone to help, i talked to my boss and he said hed help with the tourqe converter and seal part. looks like i just got to round up the tools and get a few cases of beer and im set!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also would it hurt the t-case to disconnecet the front driveshaft and drive it with just the rear end (full time Np203) ive been told it wouldent, and ive been told it would, just wanting to know couse if i start taking it apart and i need to use it i wouldent have to put the front back on, anywho let me know.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
does anyone know where i can find a part time kit for the 203? since ill have it off anyway, depending on how much the kit cost and if its simple enough maybe i could do it. i know that they built it to where it can withstand 4 wheel all the time, but after a while will it kill off the front end sooner then a part time 4x4?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Ive done my C6 too many times.....Its better if you can
Take off

Drive shafts
TransferCase seperate
Then the tranny..And mount

I never drain mine and its in the driveway...Put a wine cork in the tranny dipstick hole prior to disassembly...The biggest *itch Ive had was getting the tranny/Tcase support mount to come out...I have to angle it out etc...Taking the tranny and case out together is a two person job...Even worse with the unbalanced case and tranny...Most of the time the rear of the tranny and case has to be lifted at the rear in order to start bell housing bolts...Id also change the upper and lower rear seals on the motor since everything is out and your under there...Sure you can do it later...But with the extra stress if the rear of the motor leaked soon after you put it back together ud b pizzed....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol ya that sounds like a good idea, im goin to start disasimbleing sunday, and im goin to try to round up everything i need tomorow, didint think of replacing those seals on the motor..thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, i went ahead and attempted to start on it, and it wasent workin out to well, first off i couldent find the right size socket or wrench to unbolt the driveshaft on the t-case side of it, in metric an 9 was to big and a 8 was to small, cant remember the regular ones, but it looks like im goin to need help on this project, it dont leak horribly bad and i dont drive it that much, so maybe i can hold out till i can get some help with it, thanks for all the help u guys gave me though, i appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
You need a 12 point 8 mill box wrench for the tcase driveshaft bolts...Just had the same issue looked all around and finally went to the store and bought one for $2...6 point 8 mill is too small...Need the 12 point.......Then break the tcase from the tranny...You can take off the interior tcase and tranny plate that your shifters go through this will allow you to get to some other bolts...Might also be able to get a bell housing bolt through there as well......

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
aight ill have to remember that, ill pick one up this week, but as far as dropping it goes, im goin to wait till i can find some help that knows what there doing, because im a big guy and it sucks being down there with not much room, so if i can find someone to help and we can get it done in about 5 or 6 hours that would be awesome lol, im just goin to worry about scraping off all the built up oil for now, that way i can see everything, got some more room for gettin underneath it and such couse we ripped off the runnin boards at about 2 in the morning when we gave up hope on droppin the tranny and put all the bots back on underneath, i bet i pissed some neighbors off couse i dont have no muffler and i drove it down the street and back to make sure it was all good lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts