Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday i decided to play in some deep water that is flowing over a stretch of paved road that has a very small creek flowing under it. since we are having tons of rain fall here in the midwest from i beleive recent hurricane activities this stretch of road was compltely flooded, i decided to drive thru the water in my 94 bronco but instead of going slow, i blasted thru like a tard:doh0715: and the engine sputtered and the idot lites came on. i have done this in it a few times in the same spot in the past with no problems.
i took my boots off poped hood from inside and jumped out, the water came up to my groin area. i opened hood and tried drying battery and solinoid off but i still couldnt get it to turn. all it would do is a clicKing like the solinoid was opening and closing. we(the lady & i) waited until her dad came to get me so i could get my 85 trail truck(BARELY STREET LEGAL) we were only a 1/2 mile from home. i didnt want to pay for a tow since i was so close to home i pushed my dead 94 bronco home with the 85 with no problems ( no police seeing me do this)
i cleaned the battery posts cable ends took solinoid off firewall and completely cleaned all connections with sand cloth, checked black fuse box under hood for water found nothing. distributor cap looks dry but should open and check it. havent checked starter or engine ground yet is there any other things to look at. i am leaning towards starter and engine ground as prob. i noticed that the pulleys turn a small amount when she tries to crank it over.

·
Chrome gets me home
2,903 Posts
did you check your air filter? you may have gotten water in your intake...

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just checked air filter it is soaked but there isnt any water holding in the filter box. i suppose i need to check the cylinders for water ? checked oil no water in the motor.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,473 Posts
I think you need to pull your plugs and turn it over by hand by using a 15/16 socket on your harmonic balancer to see how it spins. You might of hydro locked your motor. Air compresses, but water does not!

·
Registered
861 Posts
hyro lock sucks, but if u pull the plugs and hand crank the motor it will solve it, if u force it over with the plugs in u can do some damage

dont ask me who i know

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,473 Posts
hyro lock sucks, but if u pull the plugs and hand crank the motor it will solve it, if u force it over with the plugs in u can do some damage

dont ask me who i know
If it hydro locked, the damage is already done. Imagine hitting a brick wall with your fist at 100 mph. Thats what your piston and rod are going to feel. The rods DO BEND under a extreme force that results from an instant stop.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Yep, with the air filter being soaked like that it sounds like a new engine may be in your Broncos future. Good luck with that.

And in a related story, I'm sure that you know how unwise it is to drive across a flooded road like that. I know a guy who lost his truck doing that. Hwy 200 is well known for flooding when the water gets high out here. There is a creek that gets out of it's bank easily and covers up the road by a couple feet. It's not even really a bridge crossing this road, there are three big culverts for the creek to flow through that are covered with dirt, and then paved over. Anyway, this guy goes to drive over it just like he has done a dozen times in the past, but this time the culverts had been washed away and the whole road was gone. So instead of crossing the flood waters, he just drove right into the creek. The truck was eventually recovered about 300 yards down stream where it got caught up in some trees.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the road is a entrance to parking lot that serves a small lake. the creek is more of a run off for the corn feilds that surrond the lake. yeah i know about the roads being washed away. this isnt a runnig water type situation more of standing water. ill have to look into the cylynders having water

·
Registered
1989 Bronco
540 Posts
ha same thing that happened to me its locked man but if it turns by hand but that sounds like exactly what happend to me i only bent 2 piston rods hope ur lucky

·
Registered
861 Posts
If it hydro locked, the damage is already done. Imagine hitting a brick wall with your fist at 100 mph. Thats what your piston and rod are going to feel. The rods DO BEND under a extreme force that results from an instant stop.

actually in the motor i was dealing with, hydro lock doesnt usually kill the motor, there simple enough, but i tried dumping the clutch to get it started and then my problems started... engine wont turn over for shit anymore

the cars for sale now...

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
:lolup the damage mainly consists of bent piston rods and crank damage.....throw some rods in with a crank kit and you should be good to go

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
actually in the motor i was dealing with, hydro lock doesnt usually kill the motor, there simple enough, but i tried dumping the clutch to get it started and then my problems started... engine wont turn over for shit anymore

the cars for sale now...
Uh, hydrolock usually does kill any kind of motor.

·
Registered
861 Posts
this is a "special motor"

·
Registered
124 Posts
Water claimed my motor a little over a month ago. It sucks for sure. Do what they said, try seeing if you can turn it over with the plugs out. If not then start thinking about what motor your going with and taking your junk one out. Hopefully your mistake was easier to swollow than mine, my motor only had 81K original on it. Took the heads off and still looked brand new inside the bores, cross hatch and all.

Hydrolocking will kill anything. Ever try to tighten a bolt that had water on the inside of the hole? Bet you broke the bolt. Same concept with the water in the cylinders. I hit the water hole going slow in my truck and in 4 low, but when the water ventures over the hood, theres no chance of it getting out of it in one piece. Especially with a stupid 460 air tube right in the front of the grille...

Good luck man, keep us posted!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Also when you pull your intake tubes off, and water pours out of the TB's, pretty much know at that point your motor is toast lol

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,473 Posts
this is a "special motor"
:rofl: :rofl: :histerica :histerica :rofl: :rofl: :uhoh3 :uhoh3 :uhoh3:

Maybe you should start a thread explaining "YOUR SPECIAL MOTOR" because I don't think your going to convince anyone here your truth.

·
Registered
861 Posts
specials the wrong word, simple would be better... but thanks

·
Registered
565 Posts
my motor runs on water! gaslock is alot worse then hydrolock. theres a boom involved. but seriously. i hydrolocked my first bronco. wasnt preaty when i tore down the motor. water+mud+pistons= bent rods. build a snorkel if your going to try and go thru deep water.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.