Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to adjust my drums today, and I couldn't figure out how to lift up the adjuster lever. I was using the smallest screw driver I had, and I couldn't get it under the lever to lift it up. Is there any trick to this? Would it wreck the lever if I just pushed it backwards?

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
????the lever is designed so that it will only turn one way...if your trying to turn against it your going the wrong way.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Im pretty sure you can spin it both ways, I do it all the time, only because I dont know which way is tighten and which way is loosen till it pretty much stops.

I also never lift up the lever, just use a brake spoon. Is it bad... I have no idea

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
yes you can spin it in or out but the lever helps to keep it from backing back in (if that make sense) I believe it is also part of the "auto adjusting" which never works for me.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So are you able to spin the adjuster without lifting the lever if you are adjusting the shoes outward?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks for the help. After playing with the adjusters today, I found out why my rear brakes do almost no braking, the auto-adjusters are froze up. That also explains why they have been making so much noise, the lever actually wore off one of the adjuster's teeth, because it was froze up. It looks like I will be re-doing the rear brakes this weekend.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
redwagon said:
I believe it is also part of the "auto adjusting" which never works for me.
To use the auto adjusters you are supposed to back up at 5mph and then come to a brisk stop. This will turn the adjuster 1 tooth.

So you sometimes have to do it a few times.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the drums done yesterday, one side had twice as much pad left than the other. The truck stops better now, and I have better pedal feel. Now when adjusting the new brakes, can they be over adjusted, like to the point where they are completely locked-up all the time?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
topfisherman said:
I got the drums done yesterday, one side had twice as much pad left than the other. The truck stops better now, and I have better pedal feel. Now when adjusting the new brakes, can they be over adjusted, like to the point where they are completely locked-up all the time?
no, the auto-adjusters cannot over-adjust the brakes.

just back up, and stop briskly, oh, i dunno, 2-4 times to adjust 'em. i do this about every 2 months, or whenever i feel my pedal falling more than normal.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks. The drums slid on fine, I was just wondering about adjusting them after the drums were on.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
But you are supposed to adjust them out when you get the drums on, therefore you can tighten the crap out of them. Its best to do it to where you can just feel them catching with your bare hand on the tire(you have more leverage then just the drum)

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Steve83 said:
No, you're supposed to set them correctly BEFORE you install the drums, then let the autoadjusters handle it from there.
Correct. But I find it easier to adjust them after the drums are on. I turn them out until they just start to grab. It works fine and my truck always stops straight. :thumbup

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Steve83 said:
No, you're supposed to set them correctly BEFORE you install the drums, then let the autoadjusters handle it from there.
Id rather spend my time sitting on the toilet then trying to get them adjusted BEFORE putting on the drums.:rofl:

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
waltman said:
Correct. But I find it easier to adjust them after the drums are on. I turn them out until they just start to grab. It works fine and my truck always stops straight. :thumbup
ya but you ever try to spin a 35" tire with a locker in the rear?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts