Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did all new lines, front calipers, rotors, pads, rear wheel cylinders, adjusters, spring kit, shoes and drums on FordArmyMan's '92 eddie bauer. Not a problem or anything unusual at all other than the new or even old drum will go back on the drivers side.

Parking brake is not on.
Passenger side drum and shoes are fine.
Adjuster is all the way closed.
Shoe pivots tight and together.
Smaller and larger shoe paired together on each side.

Only thing I can think now to do is take it back apart incase I am missing something stupid.

Found this ole thread having the same problem with a parking brake issue, but don't seem the case here

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56673&highlight=Stuck+drum+brake

Adrianspeeder

·
a renegade of funk
3,241 Posts
i had the same problem.
i took the bar for the e-brake out untill i was able to get new cables and haven't had any problems. i would plan on having the problem on the other side sooner or later as well

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
Just did all new lines, front calipers, rotors, pads, rear wheel cylinders, adjusters, spring kit, shoes and drums on FordArmyMan's '92 eddie bauer. Not a problem or anything unusual at all other than the new or even old drum will go back on the drivers side.

Parking brake is not on.
Passenger side drum and shoes are fine.
Adjuster is all the way closed.
Shoe pivots tight and together.
Smaller and larger shoe paired together on each side.

Only thing I can think now to do is take it back apart incase I am missing something stupid.

Found this ole thread having the same problem with a parking brake issue, but don't seem the case here

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56673&highlight=Stuck+drum+brake

Adrianspeeder
better take another look. i bet it isn't assembled properly. look to see if some of those things are not in slots they should be in.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Make sure your "separator bar" (I don't know what it's actually called) is flipped around the right way, and the shoes are fully seated in the slots both on that bar and in the cylinder pistons. The shoes ride on the raised part of the backing plate, they shouldn't be down in the outer groove.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Not to sound like an a**hole but is the self adjuster screwed all the way in?
If it's still adjusted to the working distance needed for the old shoes/ rotors, it's way to spread for the new bits.
Just a thought.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Not to sound like an a**hole but is the self adjuster screwed all the way in?
If it's still adjusted to the working distance needed for the old shoes/ rotors, it's way to spread for the new bits.
Just a thought.
He already said it is adjusted all the way closed.

Adrian, did you do one side first before you moved on to the other. I don't need to, but it is a habit I've gotten into to ensure propper asembly. I did screw up once a few years back and it was something basic, I overlooked.

Did you compare the look of your current set up with a pic from the Haynes manual?

·
Registered
132 Posts
My moneys on the parking-brake bar. Do the shoes rest completely on the post at the top (where the springs clip on)

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, tight and close as possible at the top on the post and bottom on the brand new adjuster which is what confuses me to the non fitting of the new or old drum.

I've lost count to how many I've done on all my other trucks, but always a chance to make a mistake so headin' back out today and takin' another crack.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
274 Posts
Did you get the realy cheap shoes, I had this problem on a 96 F150. The owner of the truck bought them and asked me to do them. I went to napa got some good shoes and problem solved

·
Registered
636 Posts
Did you get the realy cheap shoes, I had this problem on a 96 F150. The owner of the truck bought them and asked me to do them. I went to napa got some good shoes and problem solved
Could be mismatched shoes in the box. Happens occasionally. Measure the dimensions of the shoes to be sure.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
You gotta have something wrong there. If you compare the new and old shoes and they are the same you have something screwed up somewhere.

What exactally is the reason why they won't mount?

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good tips Steve, thanks. I'm guessing the tugging on the ebrake cable was it because after taking everything apart and putting back together the exact same way it was perfect. Oh wells, hes now good to go with good brakes/brake lines all around.

Adrianspeeder

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Good to hear Adrian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts