Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of puting in a second alt in my 78. I was planning on using the smog pump brackets shimmed as necessary. Would there be any issues just putting another 3g in there and wiring it to the battery? I was wondering if having two alts would "conflict" in some way.......:scratchhe

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Why do you want a second alt? Unless you are going to use it to weld or are running an insane audio system there isn't really a point. And no it isn't as simple as hooking 2 alts up to the same battery. I can't even fathom what you would be trying to accomplish with that...

Edit: by the way, generally people go to 2 batteries before they go to 2 alts. 2 alts are usually used to run different parts of a system running off 2 different batteries (IE: the vehicle, lighting, etc running off one and a crazy competition stereo running off the other).. The only reason I know of to run 2 alts and 1 battery is to run one alt in a welding system.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Why cant you run two alts 12 volts is 12 volts, it's not like your running your charging system in series. As long as you parallel your charging your doubling your amperage and not changing voltage.

·
Try it now!!
9,120 Posts
Why cant you run two alts 12 volts is 12 volts, it's not like your running your charging system in series. As long as you parallel your charging your doubling your amperage and not changing voltage.
The voltage regulators are never exactly the same. One tries to put out slightly higher voltage than the other, and as such assumes more of the load than the other.

Theres some sort of unit that needs to parallel the current between the two alternators. Some sort of common voltage regulator that can adjust the field of both alternators.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Biggest question is; why? You can buy 130 amp 160 amp & 200 amp 3G alternators. Any of which is adequate. NEXT.

Yet again making stuff more difficult than it need to be. KISS.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,857 Posts
The voltage regulators are never exactly the same. One tries to put out slightly higher voltage than the other, and as such assumes more of the load than the other.
:stupid
you would have to use 1 dual alt regulator to control both, which is not cheap.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Biggest question is; why? You can buy 130 amp 160 amp & 200 amp 3G alternators. Any of which is adequate. NEXT.

I'm not saying it will be easy, but if people only do things that are easy how can anybody do anything diffrent. Ford has a dual alt setup as an option on there current powerstrokes not saying this is an option for you to use but it is out there and people do use it.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,857 Posts
Before anybody asks; the dual alt setup on newer PSD are controled by the ECM which also controls the engine and trans. It's not going to swap into other vehicles without the engine, trans, and dash.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

WHY?!?! Maybe because i want to??? :twak

And since i have a 160 3g already ... that kills the "v" belt when it ramps up to charge the batteries in my truck (since you have a 79, you can see how far the belt has to go to get from the crank pully to the alt, it is never tight enough, without being overtight)...... also i have the possiblity of quite a draw when doing a vehicle recovery... lightbar (fed sig vision bar - draws around 45 amps), and a 10k winch (or the 8k on the rear) and i already have 3 batteries in the truck, to help lessen the sudden draw. Also maybe (since i was in the avaition game) i believe in redunant systems... And if i can do it with not alot of work... so much the better.

Fireguy gave me the answer i needed :beer . I don't want/need to spend alot on a dual regulator sooooo.. what i will do is just make a second system to power the accessories and one to run the stock demands of the truck.

And if i wanted to KISS it, i guess i should have just left it stock, i mean why should anyone change anything?? it is easiest to just leave things as they are.....ford engineers have already worked out the "best" truck that will work for everyone.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
jopes runs duals on his 79 uses one for a welder
it is a 78...

yes I have 2 alts, but the one for the welder has no regulator, and is not even hooked up unless I need to weld.

·
Registered
966 Posts
it is a 78...

yes I have 2 alts, but the one for the welder has no regulator, and is not even hooked up unless I need to weld.

Jopes do you have a write up on that extra alt. for welding. Does it work well for what it is?

Nate

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Jopes do you have a write up on that extra alt. for welding. Does it work well for what it is?

Nate

it uses a 105 amp large case ford alt. no regulator. it welds great.

there is a write up on por in the tech section.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts