Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where did you guys mount the second battery? And what are you using to split the charge line?

·
Registered
784 Posts
i had a thread on this last week, then another guy had 1 and i referred him to mine now i will refer you.

you can mount it in the stock position with $0 spent.

step 1- remove battery
step 2- remove tray
step 3- find very large hammer
step 4- smash tray flat with said hammer
step 5- re-install tray and turn battery 90 degrees
step 6- install second battery next to it
step 7- re-connect the wiring

now if you want to isolate one....

step 1- buy a 200amp battery isolating relay for 40 bucks on ebay
connect all power wires to one battery
step 2- wire + of above battery to one side of relay
step 3- wire + of aux battery to other side

step 4- ground the - terminal of the relay
step 5- hook up the + side to the fuel pump relay output so it connects the second battery only when in run, starting, and while your engine is running as not to kill it

OR

step 4- connect + of aux batt to + terminal or relay
step 5- use a switch in the cab to ground out and switch the relay when you want

·
I ♥ TTB
4,250 Posts
Or if you search for "dual battery" you'll come up with a ton of threads with pics of what a lot of us did :beer

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
mines in the back with O gage running to it. I also have a farm equipment yellow top. I ran my KCs, stereo, and my TV for 5 Hours with No problem.

·
Registered
784 Posts
broncoheaven said:
Here's an idea.

wow that sucks. you do know your warrany on both those 140 dollar batteries are suspended, dont you? not even an isolator. dang.

no offense redwagon, but why dual reds?

·
Administrator
22,855 Posts
miketrains03 said:
wow that sucks. you do know your warrany on both those 140 dollar batteries are suspended, dont you? not even an isolator. dang.

thats just what i happen to get my hands on...(free)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Doesn't running the batts in parallel make it a 24 volt charge?

·
Registered
784 Posts
well free is always better than getting any warranty.

Blue'87GT said:
Doesn't running the batts in parallel make it a 24 volt charge?
parallel doubles the amperage, not the voltage.
series doubles the voltage with the same amperage.

his truck wouldn't have been running very long if it was 24v.

Reminder: EVERYONE MAKE SURE U WIRE YOUR DUAL BATTERY SETUPS IN PARALLEL or prepare to cry

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
So running it + to - would make it 24 volt then right?

·
Registered
784 Posts
yes

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I got a battery tray for the drivers side out of a Ford ambulance which bolted right in. I had to relocate the wiper/washer box, but that was no big deal.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts

I did the BFH thing, turned 90* put two side by side, wired in series, and did not use an isololator.....note the very expensive "Bunjee" tie down...total cost, was about 5.00 bucks for another battery cable and lug from Oreily...already had a "new" hot battery....one thing my friends at least have learned, put batteries of EXACTLY the same age in, or the weaker will continually drain the stronger....

·
Registered
784 Posts
GHOSTRIDER said:

I did the BFH thing, turned 90* put two side by side, wired in series, and did not use an isololator.....note the very expensive "Bunjee" tie down...total cost, was about 5.00 bucks for another battery cable and lug from Oreily...already had a "new" hot battery....one thing my friends at least have learned, put batteries of EXACTLY the same age in, or the weaker will continually drain the stronger....
thats how i had it up until they both died on me. i didnt even have a tie down. still dont. i dun really see a need. ive never had them move on me. i bought an isolating relay and wired it in......doing good so far.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
i have pics on my supermotors. don't know how to post. i'll put the link http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/showmedia.php?id=240746
i haven't made the mount for the second batt yet. it's in the works. the batt has been sitting on the plastic fender for a few months now. it's collapsing a bit so i really need to get on that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I snagged the right hand battery mount off a diesel truck in the junkyard...but I haven't got around to doing anything other than mocking it up. :rofl:

·
I ♥ TTB
4,250 Posts
miketrains03 said:

Uhhh, why is his warranty suspened? Says who?:scratchhe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts