Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found one on summit, its made by Taylor and comes with the cables. i wanted to get the painlesswire cables for the dual battery setup.

Does anybody know of any other places to get the tray?

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Wrangler Northwest Power Products

wranglernw.com

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
oh man. i mad mine for under $15 dollars and i run dual batteries and it only cost me a cable, like $10 at the parts store. dude i can get a relay for $32 and make a dual battery kit for under $50 with the right diagram. yeah if you had the part number for a relay like i posted in this section. and if you had a diagram... hmmm if only you had a diagram...

BAM!

dude i used 1x1x1/8" angle iron and expanded steel, that mesh stuff, for the bottom. i cut the stock tray so this would sit flat and bolted it in over the old tray. ford makes a dual battery tray. you can go to the junk yard and get a dual tray if you look around you can use two cheap store bought singles and bolt them over the single tray you have and use standard battery hold downs. look in my superford site and there are a few pics.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
You don't need a 200 relay unless you plan on playing video games all day with the truck off.
Just connect the batterys togeather electrically :thumbup

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
i agree with ryan, plus you dont need to pay for that kit unless you just want too.

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
cheaper still yet

I have a couple of rubber staps and put the second battery on the drivers side. It stays there fine and ran a battery cable across the radiator. Total costs $2 for staps $40 for 2cd battery and $10 for long battery cable.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
definately get a better battery hold down. mine is the beef cause i wanted the biggest wingnuts possible & the top part was scrap i had lying around. i think thats 1/2" all thread on my hold down & the tray is easily removed for work on the motor. i pulled the alt yesterday & it wasnt even in the way.

highway apostle, that diagram is the same as i posted basically. if i hear him right. the relay is wired the same. the only difference is the way the wires in the one i posted are run. if i read it correctly, you need a wire to power the relay on the same terminal as any accessory that is on when the key is, like the power to the radio. dont they shut off when you crank the motor in newer stuff? so in my diagram, you see power to solenoid labeled. thats what you tap into the radio power lead. you could use a relay for that too. probably should so the big noid gets full 12V

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Yeah bolt that battery down good. this si my dual batt on the drivers side:

Very structual, to the fender and core suport.
If I had to re-build everything, I probably wouldn't put it there.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Not to be an ass.............

But what is the point of a aux battery that can't crank the starter, and can't be used alon with the key off?

I would want my 2nd battery isolated when cranking or when the key is off. Not only on when the key is on, and charged by a 10Ga wire :shrug

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
with the diagram i posted you can do it anyway you want. who knows why ford wired it that way?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
you want me to swap batteries?
Or hook up jummper cables between my won batteries?

No thanks, I like my duals hooked up solid 100% forever.
I could crank for 20 minutes or longer
Left my lights on for 8 hours once, and she still cranked right up.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
dude i have two batteries and i fried a voltage regulator the other day and was stranded. i like the two wired together for the same reasons you state ryan, but i am using the relay to add a third battery so i can self jump.

i know that for $80 bucks that tray looks cool. but i could build a dual battery tray, buy the relay & cables and do the install along with a battery cut off switch. have your girlfriend buy you the relay & cables, spend some time looking for dual trays at the yards or buy two singles & mount them on the stock tray. maybe its just me, but if i can build it for less i wont buy it. i spent less on my stick welder than a guy charges for wristed arms, then i built my own wristed arm.

·
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
axaviere said:
spend some time looking for dual trays at the yards or buy two singles & mount them on the stock tray.
Dont have the time between 2 jobs to look, rather spend my little bit of free time putting in what I already have. Plus Im not paying for it, she is.:toothless

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
are those what i think they are? can i see a pic on the ends if you can? thanks, AXE

2 jobs? is that legal? you should share man. hogging up all the jobs, lol. i know how that goes man. it is easier sometimes. i just like making or scrounging for anything i need before i buy it. but then i got time & no G/F. thats good & bad. they sure are soft & sweet smelling, but they can also be ... :rolleyes:

·
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
axaviere said:
are those what i think they are? can i see a pic on the ends if you can? thanks, AXE

2 jobs? is that legal? you should share man. hogging up all the jobs, lol. i know how that goes man. it is easier sometimes. i just like making or scrounging for anything i need before i buy it. but then i got time & no G/F. thats good & bad. they sure are soft & sweet smelling, but they can also be ... :rolleyes:
yup, she is a pain in the ass sometimes, but then the broncs are too.

believe me if i had the time and it was my money being spent I would be scrounging and being as cheap as possible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts