Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run one of these setups. How small would the 2 4 barrles have to be. All of the setups I have seen use 2 500cfm carbs. In theroy that is like putting a 1000cfm carb on...right? Why dose this setup work without delivering excessive fuel? What is so different about using 2 500cfm's compared to a single 1000cfm carb?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Has anyone run one of these setups. How small would the 2 4 barrles have to be. All of the setups I have seen use 2 500cfm carbs. In theroy that is like putting a 1000cfm carb on...right? Why dose this setup work without delivering excessive fuel? What is so different about using 2 500cfm's compared to a single 1000cfm carb?
A 1000cfm will dump more gas throughout the throttle range until WOT than the two 500's. At WOT they are equal.

I had them on a 64 Chevy with a 350 that I had for a while. Keeping them in tune and sync;d was a pain. It was the Edlebrock setup. Sold it before a swapped that thing out for a single 4 barrel.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,342 Posts
The differance being the you would only be running the primaries until the secondaries opened up. The smaller primaries would use less fuel on two small carbs then the one huge one.
It should be more streetable having two smaller carbs instead of one big one too.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Dual carbs are way over kill on a 302. I had a killer 302 with a 650 holley on it and it was still too big. Folks always go way too big on their carbs than the motor can swallow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for clearing that up. I am building my 302 now, wasn't sure what intake I was going to run. I bought a weiland intake and a 570 holley street avenger. But then my dad busted out one his old mustang intakes. It's a dual 4brl, high rise, crossover. It looks sick, but I figured it would come along with a few more headaches. I'll stick with the street avenger:whiteflag.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
If its a 10,000 RPM engine that may be OK, but its probably still overkill. I wouldn't do anything more then a 600 on a 302. Maybe a 750 if its gonna see some real high RPM's.

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
I ran a crossram manifold (2x4s) on an Shelby hipo 289 in a Falcon. They were matched series Holley 385 CFM IIRC. The engine was pretty radical but took the 2x4s well. I dont think I would mess with 2x4s again unless I was creating a nostalgia piece. 2 500 CFM carbs would be WAY too much for a 302.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts