Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up a 1993 Bronco Eddie Bauer this week with a newly rebuilt 302 with 10k miles. He said it has headers and dual exhaust with glass packs. I am not a glass pack fan. I don't know the size of the exhaust, but what would yall suggest as a replacement muffler?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had Flowmasters Super 44 on mine, then I replaced it with the Super 10 (louder). I liked the way the Super 44 sounded better.

·
Registered
216 Posts
magnaflows

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was half tempted to make the homemade y-pipe like on my old bronco and do a full 3" mandrel bent exhaust. I just don know which muffler i want to use... flowmaster, bassani, magnaflow, hooker, aeroturbine, etc. from what i understand he has cherry bomb mufflers on there now

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm a glasspack fan, but then again the deeper and louder the better in my eyes. My buddy also had the super 44's on his fx4 and they had a really nice tone, but too quiet for me, mind you the fx4 has the 5.4 triton

·
Registered
52 Posts
i have a true dual exhaust on mine and im running flomast 44s on it they sound great... theyre loud enough to know theyre there but not to loud to make you deaf

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does it sound good? how much drone?

·
Registered
52 Posts
yeah i think it sounds pretty good and get alot of compliments as far drone if i understand what drone is correctly its a deep buzzing sound that rattles everything and if thats right then only at idle do i really notice it

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have pace setter headers into a bassani first gen lightning x pipe into dual super 44s. I love the sound.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i was half tempted to make the homemade y-pipe like on my old bronco and do a full 3" mandrel bent exhaust. I just don know which muffler i want to use... flowmaster, bassani, magnaflow, hooker, aeroturbine, etc. from what i understand he has cherry bomb mufflers on there now
cherry bombs aren't like typical glasspacks, they are made a hell of a lot better and don't do that annoying harsh as hell backrap that sounds like glass breaking. The internal baffle is louvered so its much stronger so it doesnt flex and is actually welded to the outer body whereas most are free floating in the housing (which is where the sound comes from.) I had a pair on my 70 mustang 302 and I can't wait to be able to put one on my Bronco. They have a great deep tone.

Now if you are running dual exhaust without cats, don't run larger than 2 1/2 exhaust or you will lose all your back pressure and torque. If you are running cats, 3 inch will work if its a true dual exhaust. If you are running 2 into 1 into 2 I suggest using a 3-4 inch cat and muffler and then stepping back down to dual 2 inch tail pipes.

As for mufflers, just listen to videos on youtube and find out what you like. No one can tell you what the right muffler is, it's all about what you like the sound of.

The sound isn't the best but this was my Mustang. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7uEfDmDy3g

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,067 Posts
I like coffin mufflers, I would say they are in between a big magnaflow and a flowmaster 40 series. Not as much resonance as the flowmaster's though. My 78 will be getting one here soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anything but Flowmasters never been a fan of them plus they aren't the best performance muffler either. I like Borla and Dynomax Ultra-flo mufflers.

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
whats a coffin muffler?

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i wonder how it sounds on a 302.. i havent found any clips on youtube

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i am really leaning towards the Aeroturbine and a flowmaster from the clips I found online. I remember how my old conversion van sounded with the Aeroturbine and a 302, and i thought it sounded great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQIz62WgxF8

·
Registered
101 Posts
Summit single chamber mufflers sound good

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
I agree with Smokingfords, I have them on my manyhunderdhorsepower 351 Cleveland and they sound great, but a big cam helps-

·
Registered
256 Posts
Anything but Flowmasters never been a fan of them plus they aren't the best performance muffler either. I like Borla and Dynomax Ultra-flo mufflers.
I agree whole heartedly... Flowmasters Chamber the exhaust flow, killing any scavenging your exhaust was doing.. do they make your truck sound "mean"? Yeah... i guess.. but they kill performance. Borla, magnaflow, or any other straight through muffler will be much better performance wise. I'm no engineer... thats just my hillbilly 2 Cents.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts