Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about upgrading to headers and a dual exhaust system. it doesnt seem like there is a clear path for a dual exhaust system to travel through. Does anyone have any idea how much this would cost ? I assume it is a custom bending job.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
I got charged over $600 and I hated it so much :mad: I tossed it in the trash 3 months later for a good single 3" exhaust

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,796 Posts
go with a good 3" exhaust setup. it will actually do better. I had a new y pipe and 3" exhaust out the back behind the tire with a flowmaster muff for $280

late

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will i get the same rate of flow if I go with headers into a y pipe and a single 3" pipe vs a dual setup? what is the diameter of the stock setup? mine looks to be close to 3" but I havent measured it.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
besides, a single 3" exhaust setup if bent right will outflow a dual 2.5" setup and youll have a little better scavenging characterisitics and a little more torque.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Had headers and duals.

When I rebuilt the motor I stayed with headers but went to a 2.5 to Catco Cat and Flowmaster single. Custom Y-Pipe. Much better.

The headers, duals and Flowmasters were just loud. The setup I have now performs better and doesn't piss people off and I can actually hear the stereo or hold a conversation.

Mike

·
Registered
463 Posts
ive got duals on both my broncos. 3" flowmasters straight out the back on my 95, & 90 degree magnaflows on my 89 (no sure what size, my brother put it on back wen the truck was his). i love how the flowmasers sound & im planning puting on headers. but the 89 was just so the truck would have dual exaust & sounds pretty much stock.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
stangmata50l said:
Other than the noise (which I LOVE).....why doesn't anyone like the dual exhaust. I was planning on putting one on but now I'm debating it.

Anyone got some good info?
You can get sound with any single or dual.

Dual exhaust means ther eare now 2 tail pipes to crush while off-roading

Dual exhaust is very dificult to route around the transfer case.

Dual exhaust is hard to route mear the brake and fuel lines on the drivers frame rail.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Dual exhaust is very dificult to route around the transfer case. Dual exhaust is hard to route mear the brake and fuel lines on the drivers frame rail.
Actually a good exhaust shop has no problem routing duals under a bronco.

A lot of you guys are preaching 3" single, but according to Fireguy50's chart 2.5" single would almost be overkill for a stock bronco.

Correct me if I am reading something wrong.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Running duals on a bronco is a pain unles it has a lift. Expecialy if you have to add 2 cats. Even then both sides wont have the same flow charteristcs seeing how the driver side will be longer and have more bends.

To do it correctly and have no rattles you have to run both pipes down the passenger side and over the axle on the passenger side then do a 90* on the driver side one and run it between the axle and the gas tank. I normaly weld the mufflers togeather standing strait up to prevent rattles. and if it has cats i stagger them or use a dual in dual out cat.

My shop would charge about 450 for a dual tail pipe cat back with 1 muffler but, for a true duals with 2 cats 2 mufflers out the back it would cost around 800.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I never said it was impossible. Just a pain in the ass to bend and make it look good. If you have a 3" body life you can go right over the pumpkin and that makes things so much easyer.

·
1,407 Posts
speaking from experience I have both, both are gibsons. 351w with dual and 302 with single 3". Seat of the pants test tells me that the single gives more pickup.

Also the gibson dual was for a f150 ext, so it had to be modified to fit properly.

·
FSB warrior
6,118 Posts
Mine cost 290 from the headers with 2 flowmasters and an H pipe. I ran 2.25 around the t case and then 2 1/2 after the flows and out each side.

·
Registered
519 Posts
so, I drive an 80 with dual exh, but I believe its stock, at least the manifold looks stock.

I just bought headers and a whole new exhaust kit.
In Wash. vehicles over 25yrs old are smog exempt so I only have one more test later this month. I bought glass packs no muff no cat, I'm assuming that Im making major breathing room here. what are your thoughts?

Im also moving the tips from just back of the rear tires to just forward of them, is this gonna do anything for me?

I also bought a 2" body lift, should that go on before I start the exhaust project?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,796 Posts
dont skimp on headers. you get what you pay for. mustang headers will work but they will require your Y pipe to be redone. also the collectors sit farther back so it puts the exhaust alot closer to the firewall. Most companies sell cat back systems or you can call bassini they have a complete kit , starts with there headers and all the way out the back but i believe the kit cost about $1000. you can have a shop do this for much less of course. go here www.truckperformance.com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts