Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever seen a fullsize with dual tanks? I do a lot of driving and a lot of it is far from gas stations- I was thinking it would be very useful for me to have dual tanks to extend my range by 300 miles or so. is this even possible?

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Has anybody ever seen a fullsize with dual tanks? I do a lot of driving and a lot of it is far from gas stations- I was thinking it would be very useful for me to have dual tanks to extend my range by 300 miles or so. is this even possible?
anything is possible but as far as i know they never came factory...

·
Registered
341 Posts
You should look at a setup for a 79 f150 or f250 with dual tanks. Maybe you can find one at your local junk yard and pull the tank you need with the original switches for the cab. The tank might bolt on the frame but not sure cause the the bronco frame is a bit shorter.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
You should look at a setup for a 79 f150 or f250 with dual tanks. Maybe you can find one at your local junk yard and pull the tank you need with the original switches for the cab. The tank might bolt on the frame but not sure cause the the bronco frame is a bit shorter.
The original switch would go where the rear window control switch is on the dashboard.
There is no space to hang a F-series saddle tank. You might be able to hang a tank between the frame rails under the rear seat, above the rear driveline. Look at a ~99 Chevy s10 Blazer tank.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sjsharky- thanks a ton for that link- 45 gallons of liquid dinosaur would add another 150 miles or so! Each time I searched for bronco gas tanks I only found the 33 gallon tanks or so. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
78bronco460- Your knowledge about these trucks continues to amaze me. How practical do you think it is to attempt the dual tank install? Perhaps it would be easier and more reasonable to install the 45 gallon tank reccommended by another poster and carry a couple jerry cans of fuel for extended trips? I want my '79 bronco to be a visually appealing low maintenance monster, and I think a single tank system will be the lowest long term hassle.

·
Registered
188 Posts
had that 45gal on my 86 bronco. if you go off roading much you will put dents in it in no time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
themike- is there any kind of underbody armour or rock protector that could be installed to prevent that? What kind of offroading do you do that damaged it? I mostly do dirt roads with occasional mild climbing- think I will see the same problem?

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Just remember that as you go up in gas tank size, you're also adding weight to the back of the truck which will reduce your overall carrying capacity. By doing some quick math with a gallon of gas weighing 6.2 lbs. per gallon, you're looking at the following:
25 Gallon tank - 155 lbs. full
33 Gallon tank - 205 lbs. full
45 Gallon tank - 279 lbs. full

You'll be able to go farther, but you loose out on overall carrying capacity of you truck.

·
Registered
230 Posts
What about building a seperate fuel cell in the bed/trunk?
Just an idea

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just remember that as you go up in gas tank size, you're also adding weight to the back of the truck which will reduce your overall carrying capacity. By doing some quick math with a gallon of gas weighing 6.2 lbs. per gallon, you're looking at the following:
25 Gallon tank - 155 lbs. full
33 Gallon tank - 205 lbs. full
45 Gallon tank - 279 lbs. full

You'll be able to go farther, but you loose out on overall carrying capacity of you truck.
Ziggy- I love your signature! How true! You have a very valid point to consider, about the additional weight of fuel. For me, that may not come into play as much as for some other people, though. This will mostly be a just-for-fun vehicle, leaving the towing and load hauling to what I hope to purchase soon, a 1979 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab, of course with matching paint, wheels and tires to my same-year bronco (also hopefully soon-to-be purchased). Again, it is a valid point, and one to be carefully considered by most folks- load hauling is just not my primary goal with the truck. I appreciate your input and hope to get more thoughtful responses to future posts! Enjoy life,

Tyler

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What about building a seperate fuel cell in the bed/trunk?
Just an idea
kyle7683- that is actually a good idea! Perhaps I could have something put in directly behind the front seats, so as not to kill much storage room. I will look into the possibilities- thank you for the suggestion!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts