Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used search... but couldn't find anything to answer my question

My 87 custom had factory dual shocks, but after i wrecked it and put a new front axle under it I lifted it about 2" and was to cheap to buy 4 taller shocks. So I just bought the 2 shocks rear of the coil spring at stock height and built some hoosier ass mounting brackets and welded them on the radius arm :twak

My question is do dual shock trucks have lighter coil springs or light duty shocks than single shock trucks? I was wondetring this because i can push down on my front bumper a few times and about bounce the front tires off the ground :haha

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was always of the belief that the shocks rear of the coil were the same as the single shock option (also rear of the coil).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Springs should be the same. The shock behind the coil should be the same as a single mount, the shock in front of the coil should be valved a little lighter as that is considered the auxilary shock.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was always of the belief that the shocks rear of the coil were the same as the single shock option (also rear of the coil).
That is what i had assumed so thats why i used the rear.

I would like to put dual shocks back on it but I am in college and have less than no $$$$ if thats possible :cry

Maybe the coil spring is just old. I was screwin around in the parking lot at school and drove the front tires up on a curb and the front suspension bounced for like 5 seconds :shocked

I also acquired a Hi Lift jack from my brother cuz he's selling his dakota 4x4 and told me he planned on leaving it in there and I said HELL NO! so i snagged it!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I thought the quad shocks were kinda a off road package, I was always told the quad shocks keep the wheel from bottoming out when you hit a huge hole, or drop off.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
SeatleFSB - what's a WaveTrac?

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Wow! those are really cool. :rockon

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
I like the stiff ride of the quad front Rancho shocks and front/rear sway bars.
My Bronco stays flat with all four wheels on the ground in high speed turns -
Cool! :)

I've got 8 rancho 5000s total. :)

1" sway bar in the front.

It came with a 7/8" rear sway bar but it's not on the Bronco.

I guess I should hook it up and see what I think of the rear sway bar? :)
Got new-in-the-box polyurethane bushings for it already even.

------------------------

One of the problems with dual shocks in the back is it's hard on the frame
and given time, will crack it. BTDT with my '75 F150 the welder told me he
saw lots of cracked frames from big tires (GMs especially) would crack the
frame at the steering gear. This was in the late 80's. I re-welded it all up
using gas in the early 00's and since then no new cracks. Gas was the way
to go on VW dune buggy frames and figured I give it a try. :)

------------------------

What I did to setup the dual rear Rancho 5000s on my '91 Bronco was to
use special coupling nuts from McMaster-Carr and cut the bolts to a certain
length so their ends didn't bump into each other inside the couple nuts.

Trickier business than I'd counted to cut those just right. :)

M12x1.75 coupling nuts for the uppers to match the studs = 93020A783

I used 1/2"-13 coupling nuts for the lowers = 91034A120

So far they are holding up real well and don't look the least bit fatigued. :)

Alvin in AZ

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Then broken mounts or bad shocks. If it is rebounding, the shocks are not working, if new they should have a warranty.
I would agree with this given a good ttb coil is rather stiff and isn't going to allow much bounce anyway, so more easily controllable by a shock that is in good condition and reasonably valved (not a single that is softly valved).

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
WaveTrac is a high end Automatic Torque Biasing Differential used in my custom Currie F9 rear.

WaveTrac Technical

interesting. Hopefully not too expensivie? Same type of design as the detroit true trac with the cylindrical worm type gears by the look.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Dual shocks help with body roll and stiffens the ride.
I know this for fact, well said. Having started with deaver super softies (this being for a solid axle front), and then going with the newer (10% stiffer) coil that improved ride firmness some, but was still very soft, with long travel.

I liked what I felt with the slightly stiffer coil (which would still probably be 25%-35+ softer than most ttb lifted coils), I then went with dual shocks. I firmed up front nose dive, but still had quite a bit of body roll, and the push down on the bumper left more bounce than I wanted. Nitrogen gas charged shocks, I added 2 I had bought 5yrs prior from Cage offroad, just never installed. Should have done that YEARS earlier. Exactly as badass mentions, body roll starts into a hard corner and then practically stops and sets and you can power (gas) through the corner with confidence. Very nice for 6" lift and no sway bars. very nice ride as well.

My concern was offroad, would this take away travel and make the ride stiff, and the answer is no. Air tires down proper for the trail, and with slow rock crawling shocks do not act as weight bearing. So while they slow oscillation, they do not add stiffness. Controlled, smooth ride.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did some Investigating and found that the lower bolt on the driver side broke...

Backstory: So while putting my truck back together in a hurry as it was my daily driver (walking got old real fast), we just threw a smaller bolt in there and decided that i would get one the next week, well 5 months later it is now broke :twak

So, guess I solved my own problem, gotta get a bolt tomorrow

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
interesting. Hopefully not too expensivie? Same type of design as the detroit true trac with the cylindrical worm type gears by the look.
About $1000.00, exclusively from Moser Engineering in the US. Comes in 9" 31-spline and 9" 35-spline. I have the 35-spline model.

I also see a new 8.8 33-spline non c-clip model, as well.

Moser Engineering Differentials

The WaveTrac is a helical gear type LSD (Like a True-Track) but with a preload biasing system. It is made with high strength 9310 steel gears, case hardened billet or forged steel housings and ARP fasteners throughout.

Open Differentials operate on a 1:1 Bias Ratio, meaning that when one wheel loses grip the other wheel loses all available drive potential as well. All your power goes out the slipping wheel along the path of least resistance.

Torque Biasing (Limited Slip) differentials offer increased Bias Ratios, meaning that when one wheel looses grip the other wheel operates at 2.5 times the traction limit of the slipping wheel. But, when the slipping wheel is in the air (zero load), the traction tire still gets little or no grip (2.5 x 0 = 0). We generally augment this load to create LS drive by applying the brakes.

WaveTrac automatically adds load during no-load conditions, such as corner wheel spin and transition to deceleration. What this means is immediate traction to the traction wheel when slipping and no need for braking in an attempt to add load off-road.

My experience has been excellent traction with minimal wheel spin or fishtail. If you want to make smoke by spinning a tire, this is not for you. If you want to go fast, have control in the turns and traction off-road, I recommend the WaveTrac.

Oh, did I mention the Lifetime Transferable Warranty?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts