Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sorry if this is something that comes up a bit but I can’t find anything in search function.
I saw one photo a while back of a dual rear tire carrier and the tires were on a tilt too.
Anyone have any information or photos of such set up?
I’ll be wanting two spares. I like the look and figure it’s a bit of extra protection of a rear end shunt. Not to mention I’m already swinging it out for a single tire so why not two!

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,121 Posts
I've never seen it, so it can't be something that comes up too often.

That sounds like a massive amount of weight on a long lever arm, if doing a single swing. I could see it working as two separate swings from either side, though. (I can't tell which one you're describing. The title sounds like one, the post sounds like the other.) The spares would obviously have to be mounted very close to the pivots in order for both to fit side-by-side, so each pivot wouldn't take a major load.

The external spare is actually considered a bad thing in a rear ender, though, as it doesn't take much of a hit to it to damage the tailgate. Two spares would just increase the likelihood of one taking such a hit. Of course, you'd pretty much need to build a custom bumper to replace the body mounted carrier, so maybe they latch entirely on the bumper and have airspace between the tailgate.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it would certainly have to be pretty sturdy. I was thinking trailer stub axles proper wheel bearings and a cam lobe system which would lift up near latching and drop onto another very sturdy mount like another trailer stub. I think it would look killer. I take your point on damaging rear end, I guess it would entirely depend on what hit you, where and how hard! Hopefullly that never happens. These things are very rare in Australia

·
Registered
1996 Bronco XLT, 5.8, Auto Everything.
345 Posts
I have seen custom rear bumpers that hold all manner of things, including dual spares, on much beefier hinges than are found on our Bronco's carrier.

They were for off-road/overlanding vehicles and RV's, though... no Broncos that I can think of with one.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,666 Posts
There is a thread here somewhere that shows a bronco spindle welded to a bumper. Then use the wheel hub and lockout as the swing pivot. With the lockout, you can lock them open at any point. Plus, its spare parts! I think the title of the thread was reuse, recycle, something or other.

Reactions: Cameron.500

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
740 Posts
How big of tires do you plan to use? How often would you need to haul both spares? Why not one internal and one external spare mount? If it is just occasionally wanting to haul 2 spares, shouldn't be an issue. Internal spare mount is pretty much out of the way when it doesn't have a tire/wheel combo installed. I don't have an internal in my truck, but I think I have read a 33 will fit with the rear seat up. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,142 Posts
In an 84 a 33 will fit on the carrier with the seat up. Ask me how I know!

Reactions: Cameron.500

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it’s as much for looks as practicality, I am doing my best two keep rear compartment clear for camping gear and dogs. I could put one up to on rack but that’s my fall back option.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,946 Posts
it’s as much for looks as practicality, I am doing my best two keep rear compartment clear for camping gear and dogs. I could put one up to on rack but that’s my fall back option.
I guess if you're planning to overland in the outback it's probably a good idea to bring along a couple spares..last thing you need is a blowout in the middle of nowhere..

are you planning to pull any kind of trailer, or is everything going in the Bronco? They're not inexpensive but those compact overland camping trailers can also double as storage..there I go spending other people's money...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha yes it’s really endless the money you can spend. I would like to get a camper trailer at some stage. There is a local company that make these awesome looking ones I’ll attach a pic. Very slick

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
4,084 Posts
On an interior mount? I have a 33 on my 82 inner tire carrier and the seat fits just fine with it up.
7208511a18274_hd_1982-ford-bronco.jpg

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,753 Posts
On an interior mount? I have a 33 on my 82 inner tire carrier and the seat fits just fine with it up. View attachment 182508
Same thing in a 90, a 33 just fits. I've had a 35 in there, but had to air it down to close the gate.

I have both internal & external carriers. @locopny encouraged me to carry 2 for some reason when I 1st started wheeling. 😁 I originally planned to ditch the internal carrier when I added the exterior, but with no tire on it, it doesn't take up much room & is something to strap gear to. I run with only the exterior spare most of the time around town, but throw a spare on the interior mount for longer trips.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,741 Posts
@locopny encouraged me to carry 2 for some reason when I 1st started wheeling. 😁
🤔 it's like that insurance you carry you hope you don't ever need. 3 spares? Now that would be crazy. 🤷

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,946 Posts
One of my favorite mottos is, "two is one, and one is none". Funny thing is, it's not one I live by with regards to spare tires.. personally I haven't had a spare for a couple years (kids, don't follow my example). In all the years I've had my Bronco, there's only been two times where a tire repair kit and onboard air wouldn't have helped.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,121 Posts
BTW, when designing a dual swing carrier, be sure to take careful measurements and leave enough gap between the two tires. I figure you can squeeze 35s on there if they're pushed out to the body line or slightly beyond. 33s should fit easily. It would suck to build the whole thing only to realize they wedge against each other when swinging out.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,142 Posts
Reactions: BroncMom
1 - 20 of 22 Posts