Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the look of the side exhaust going straight up on the dually's, can this be done on a bronco? and what is the suggestion on Cat. or no Cat if I get side exhaust? what's the pros / cons for the engine?

·
Registered
624 Posts
dual exhuast without cats=good
single exhuast with cats=bad

now it just depends where you live if emissions laws will prohibit removal of cats or not. But since youre asking about removing the cats I will assume you dont have emissions laws, and say remove the cats and run straight duals. You wont get tonnes of power but it will sound way better

·
Registered
983 Posts
when you say dually side exhaust, are you talking about running the exhaust under the truck and venting out the sides, either in front of or directly behind the rear tires? (horizontal)

or, are you talking about running twin diesel stacks around and up? (vertical)

i'm sure you can find a way to run stacks if thats what youre into, although i can't think of a way to run them that would look decent and/or be safe enough that i would want to ride inside the truck.

if you want to vent the exhaust out under the sides of the truck, hell yeah it can be done. and forget the cats, either find an exhaust shop that will do it (good luck), get a cat and push a piece of pipe through it, weld that in, or have them install the cats, cut them out, and then splice in the straight pipe.

i have true duals with no cats and no mufflers on mine. 3 inch stainless all the way baby, back into 4 inch tips venting out the side of the truck. it is loud as a mother f&cker, which is just exactly the way i like to roll. :chili:

·
Registered
624 Posts
DasTeufelHund said:
I really like the look of the side exhaust going straight up on the dually's, can this be done on a bronco?
:histerica I dont know how but I totally missed this

·
Registered
983 Posts
i can get some pictures of it once i get the damn thing out of the shop. my left rear quarter panel was on "back order" from the bronco graveyard for 5 weeks, and i ended up ordering one from LMC truck, should be here by tomorow, and hopefully i can get it done and out by next week sometime.

i personally didn't do the exhaust job on mine, i had a friend do it who works at a local midas. he said it was a royal pain in the ass, and he had to do it when his boss wasn't around so he could bypass the cats and not get in trouble.

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
stacks would be hard on a bronco because you have no separation from the cab and the stacks. there would be too much heat- and youd probably end up in the ER from burning yourself on the stack.

when big diesel trucks run stacks- they cut two holes in the inside corners of the bed- then they route the stacks through those holes- good luck figuring out how to do that on a bronco...without dying...and having it sound good would be tough.
those stacks are IIRC 4-6" in diameter- you dont have a whole lot of power to make that sound good...
those 7.4l v12 cummins diesels- hell yeah they can pull it off... cus theyre BIG.
theres my .02...
ace

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
You guys are making this way too tough. Dump the exhaust out the sides right behind the doors and run them up the side of the body leaving enough room for air to circulate (two to three inches). Wrap the pipes in a heat shield (there are several nice stamped aluminum or tin ones) and call it done. I think it would look like crap, but to each his own :thumbup

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
i think this is his DD... i dont think he wants it to looks like shit..
ace

·
Registered
983 Posts
i've seen the redneck stacks out and around the sides of the cab...it does look like crap. but yeah, i guess if he likes it. i don't know of another way to do it, unless you route it up and through, and that is probably not too safe.

i've seen some guys run the big 4 inch stacks and sound decent, i've seen other guys take old vette style side pipe and run up vertical. that works, sounds okay.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I was wanting to do that with a 1973 F100 I used to have. They sell the side exhaust like the one's from a/c cobra's and the Older Vette's pretty cheap.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
7,001 Posts
I saw stacks on a 80s 'burban when I was in HS. 8 or so different colors, dually with no fenders, pulling a hacked together camper that had a burning meat smoker inside. It had to be a 90 degree day too. Had to ask the guy where he was from and it will make sense to you Pennsylvania people when I say potter county

His plan was to get on I-81, (aka die-81) but I mapped him out some backroads so the Staties wouldn't tear him a new one on the highway.

Point being, you gotta go real backwoods lookin to pull off stacks.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Lol...there's a bunch of people around where I live that have stacks. There's two guys with dodge's that have stacks, one guy has a since stack and the other has dual stacks. Another guy has an old brown Ford truck (73-79) that has dual stacks comming out of the front of the bed right behind the cab. They don't look too bad....but I live in Kentucky...so it's kinda expected.

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
yep

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If you have the stock converter it's going to be more restrictive than having a dual exhaust with two separate converters.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts