Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My intermittent driveline vibration came back, so i popped the cover off the 8.8

No pin bolt at all. None. No shavings that equal chomped pin bolt.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I needed one the other night, so I came up and took yours. :goodfinge
No need to thank me for re-filling with gear oil.

Seriously, is it gone gone? As in you fished around the whole bottom of the diff? Mebbe with a magnet?

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
I dont know what you are talking about, but thanks for the really good picture of the abs tone ring.

·
Registered
955 Posts
It's not up in one of the axle tubes, is it?

·
Registered
11,108 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Yeah, it probably couldn't unless it was smushed. Not real likely... There should be a pinion oil galley though, and I have found all sorts of goodies in those while cleaning out a diff...

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Have you been into the differential previously....How about the PO? If you bought the truck used, I bet the PO sheared the bolt and didn't bother to replace it. Otherwise I don't see how the cross pin would have stayed in place. What's the cause of the DL vibration?

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
It would have been cooler if the cross pin fell out and went through the diff cover

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
It would have been cooler if the cross pin fell out and went through the diff cover
You need to add that picture and the one with the couch to the work experience section of your resume :histerica

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you been into the differential previously....How about the PO? If you bought the truck used, I bet the PO sheared the bolt and didn't bother to replace it. Otherwise I don't see how the cross pin would have stayed in place. What's the cause of the DL vibration?
Yes, i have been in the diff previously. Dont know shit about the previous owner.

This was all rebuilt 20k miles ago and i probably changed the fluid 3-4 times and had the cover off to pound the lip flat again a few times.

The pin is not sheared, there is no sign of a pin having been installed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Helm manual I have says to throw the bolt away and replace it with a new one if you ever touch it .

They had them on the shelf at ford when i went to get one. The threads come precoated with locktight . It was red which surprised me because normally you wouldn't want red on a bolt that small.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
cant you just put on back in it? call it good? you didnt do any damage did you?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
hope everything is ok when you get it back together
It's already too late

When mine sheared the damage occurred within 20 miles and totally lunched my 8.8. By the time I got turned around and got her home she was vibrating to beat the band.

Didn't think she'd make it, but she got me home !:thumbup

All because my pin sheared itsef' !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
91 Posts
No pin bolt at all. None. No shavings that equal chomped pin bolt.
Have you checked the valley on the bottom of the diff about 1" inward of the cover's mating surface? There is about a 1" depression there that it could be in. Stick your fingers down in it and check.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts