Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how dumb this sounds and if you feel a virtual slap is inline... well have at it but atleast tell me the answer :smilie_slap

Does the 86 302 Xlt 4x4 have a check engine light/service engine light? Just wanting to know prior to failing smog (CA Sucks). When I turn key to on I have no lights at top of dash where blinkers are. I just need to know if I have to tear dash apart to find out whats wrong, if any.

My first Bronco so forgive :)

·
Registered
11,108 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where is it located on the panel? Any pictures?

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
well then ford was ahead of chevy in the fuel injection.

ray
ummm... yeah?

either way... i can't see how you'd go "Well in 86 Chevys didn't have check engine lights, so Fords must not".

:doh0715:

If you don't know... don't post.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just looked and the area for the check engine looks like it says "Emissions". The owners manual says "Emissions System Lamp". My question is, when you turn the ignition to the "start" position (right before turning engine over) shouldn't the "Emissions" light come on? Or does it only come on if the truck has a problem? I have to take the truck down on thursday to smog and would like to get our new rig legal.

Thanks all :)

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
well my ford doesnt and its a 86 but its also a diesel.. no go wash out your vag
Is his 86 a diesel? No, it's another stupid comparison of yours. :rofl:

Your 86 is fuel injected though, by an injection pump, not electronically.

Just looked and the area for the check engine looks like it says "Emissions". The owners manual says "Emissions System Lamp". My question is, when you turn the ignition to the "start" position (right before turning engine over) shouldn't the "Emissions" light come on? Or does it only come on if the truck has a problem? I have to take the truck down on thursday to smog and would like to get our new rig legal.

Thanks all :)
Yes, on any EECIV EFI system, when you turn your key to run, your check engine/emissions/whatever light should come on for a few seconds. It's probably a burned out bulb... get a few spares and pull your dash apart (it's really not that tricky) and replace any of the lamps that are burned out.

It's been a while since I've seen the inside of a late 80's Ford truck that wasn't a diesel, but IIRC, the check engine light should be down to the right of the steering wheel on a little display panel. I'll see if I can find some pictures.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
anyone tell me where the wires are going? When I turn the ignition to run the test light turns on. I ground off the column. With any bulb I get no light. I have tryed a few I had and went and bought 4 new ones. :banghead

1 - 11 of 11 Posts