Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I got this little problem with my hood latch, apparently last time I closed the hood something wasnt right, because now it sits an inch higher then it should when closed. Now I can't open the hood or close it farther. Obviously this is a big problem. Nothing I do, no amount of force will move it one way or the other. The hood latch looks like it would if it were close and locked, but its not "in" the hood per say. The hood just sits on the lock part and won't move up or down. Any suggestions, I gotta get this fixed soon. Do I A, take a long screwdriver and hammer it onto the latch to move it to the unlock position? Do I B, try to wrentch the hood up by force? or Do I C, try something else.
please help me with this stupid thing.
gavin

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
I'd try the screw driver first...You could probably get a latch at the junkyard cheap...A hood won't be as easy or cheap to replace...

I say do what ya gotta to get the latch open, just dont dent or bang up the hood..If it comes down to it, a sawzall will make short work of the latch and should not Damage the hood.....Good luck...Fog

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try having someone pull the hood release and hold it while you just gently move everything up front w/ a large screwdriver.

We a '96 F250 City truck that does the same thing, and it takes 2 people to open and shut the hood.

Worth a try, and hope it helps

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
the latch is really tricky i think your just having a little problem with how to work the latch. it took me a few tries before i understood it. when you pull the hood latch in your cab that will pop it like an inch, then reach into your grill and find the latch, now push down on the hood and while the hood is in the compressed posistion use your other hand to move the latch left then let go of the latch and ease up on the hood and it should open up and if this dosnt work take out the tools hope this helps :thumbup

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Maybe the latch was closed on accedent one click before you closed the hood :confused: So you pushed the hood into a half closed latch.

Beat the snot out of the latch, torch it off, ect.
Then get a junkyard replacment for $10

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe the latch was closed on accident one click before you closed the hood So you pushed the hood into a half closed latch.

Thats seems to be the ticket, Guess I gotta kill the latch. :(

·
3,420 Posts
Mine does something similar if I don't close it hard, just set the hood down to the latch. Like when I have to charge a battery, with wires coming out from the hood. Usually just pushing down (pretty hard) on the hood will lock it into the same position as when you pull the release. I it won't move, try some penetrating oil, it is probably surface rust binding together.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need a 1/4 inch drive with 10mm socket and 10mm box wrench. There are two bolts holding the latch in place. Bolts are extremely difficult to access and you'll only be able to get a 1/8th turn at a time at best. Make sure to index the position of the latch before removing it using a sharpie or similar to aid with installation. With bolts removed, hood will open allowing access to inspect and reinstall the latch without having to mess with the grill access. Be sure to check and test functionality of hood control mechanism several times before closing back up.

·
Registered
364 Posts
When I was in the Army these sorts of problems, where there was no clear solution, tended to arise. The usual answer was "C4". I don't think they were talking about the Ford transmission. Anyway, a small charge would probably do. Good luck and stand back.:thumbup
Actually, the latch on my '95 doesn't work too well either. No matter which way you push or pull on the lever, the damn thing won't open. It finally will respond after several tries and what feels like I'm bending the lever. Lousy design. I don't recall any similar issues with my '83, but that was a long time ago that I sold it (2000).

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
so did the "op" ever fix the latch ?
My bet is that the guy is still working on it, he's from Boston, they are "strong".

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,148 Posts
@351w500 ... Right (hate when there's no closure), I'm just waiting to hear if he tried pulling the hood release... I had this happen to me and while hubby and friend scratched their heads i pulled the release and voila... Problem solved...

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,788 Posts
Hop in Marty! We've got to go back to November 7, 2003! There's a Bronco owner back there with a stuck hood latch!

Need a 1/4 inch drive with 10mm socket and 10mm box wrench. There are two bolts holding the latch in place. Bolts are extremely difficult to access and you'll only be able to get a 1/8th turn at a time at best. Make sure to index the position of the latch before removing it using a sharpie or similar to aid with installation. With bolts removed, hood will open allowing access to inspect and reinstall the latch without having to mess with the grill access. Be sure to check and test functionality of hood control mechanism several times before closing back up.
Sounds like the best fix if it's really jambed up, but...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts